Because they are locked in to Windows

Story: Linux growth tied to personnel issuesTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tracyanne

Mar 12, 2008
12:46 PM EDT
The small company I work for will never migrate to Linux, the owners (my boss and his investor in the UK) don't understand Linux on the one hand, and has probably never heard of Linux on the the other). My Boss thinks Linux is difficult to learn and use, is locked in to Microsoft technology, so he has no incentive to change, and couldn't give a rats what I know about Linux. Which means that unless some other shop provides better software cheaper than we do the Fitness industry (and we develop for the largest companies in the fitness industry) is locked in to Microsoft.
NoDough

Mar 12, 2008
1:17 PM EDT
Tracy,

I know just how you feel. But "never" is an awful long time.

In 1995 I couldn't have imagined the number of distros that would be available by 2000. In 2000 I couldn't have imagined that by 2005 Linux would work with 99% of the commodity hardware available on the market. In 2005 I couldn't have imagined that by 2008 Linux systems would be sold by Dell, HP, Lenovo, Nokia, Sears, Wal-Mart, BestBuy, etc. In 2008 I can't imagine my company converting to Linux.

It may not be happening overnight, but it is happening.
softwarejanitor

Mar 12, 2008
1:40 PM EDT
tracyanne -- sounds like an opportunity. If your bosses are clueless and you've got a thorough enough understanding of what your current employer's product does to write a solid spec you could very easily team up with some developers and start a new company, build a competing product (even better, learn from your current employer's mistakes). You might have to offer a Windows version as well, in order to gain market share... My experience has been that multi-platform development often has advantages in finding bugs and sorting out architectural limitations. Linux's superior cost of ownership should allow you to undercut your current employer while offering a similar or superior product. Starting from a "blank slate" would also give you the opportunity to use current technology, while your current employer's products are likely to carry significant legacy baggage if they've been on the market for a number of years. It might also be an opportunity to explore an open source distribution model -- wouldn't that drive your current bosses nuts?
herzeleid

Mar 12, 2008
1:50 PM EDT
When I first started here 11 years ago with $MAJOR_COMPANY the management scoffed at the idea that linux could ever be used as anything other than a geek toy.

After 2-3 years of rock solid performance running big brother, mail and dns on 2nd hand hardware, the management response was to move big brother off linux to an hpux cluster, and they pressured me to move mail and dns to solaris or hpux.

Within the past few years a thaw has occurred. linux is now hosting mission critical infrastructure. Brand new hardware is being purchased for linux. mail and dns stayed on linux, the hpux cluster is gone, decommissioned, and big brother is back running on linux. Now that the SCO scam is all but dead, momentum has increased, and we're looking at a big enterprise oracle move, from hpux to linux.

While I can appreciate the depths of fear, ignorance and laziness that seem to afflict IT management in many places, the passage of time can and will allow some common sense to seep in, given the right conditions.

The cream does eventually rise to the top.
rijelkentaurus

Mar 12, 2008
2:17 PM EDT
HAHA...I read the story as "Linux growth tied to personal issues".
tuxchick

Mar 12, 2008
2:20 PM EDT
It's true, rijelkentaurus, and if you're not careful with how you tie the knots, they chafe something awful.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 12, 2008
2:24 PM EDT
I have a Linux-equipped box right next to my Windows box. I have my own switch and have a second IP so I have networking on both.

That's one way to at least get FOSS into the workplace.

Also, using the Windows version of FOSS programs (Firefox, OpenOffice, AbiWord, the GIMP, etc.) is one way to either transition from a proprietary desktop to a full FOSS setup, or at least to use FOSS apps over a Windows OS.

And you can always find old hardware in the storage rooms of most businesses that can be pressed back into service with Linux or BSD.

We've got OS 9-equipped Macs all over this joint, sitting there doing nothing. Roll Debian, Yellow Dog or even Slackintosh onto one of them as a demo. At the very least, you'll get a modern browser on the thing.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 12, 2008
2:36 PM EDT
And if you do find a personal Linux growth, monitor it for swelling.
ColonelPanik

Mar 12, 2008
6:05 PM EDT
Y'all really think is the bosses? I would bet that its those winders centric IT people who are scared, lazy and like all geeks, very, very opinionated.
dumper4311

Mar 12, 2008
7:22 PM EDT
@CP:

I can tell you first hand it's at least partially the bosses. My boss suffers from the "who's neck can I choke if something goes wrong" syndrome. Somehow, he believes paying for a contracted license agreement every year means the software will work without fail, and he has someone he can call for support if there's a problem.

Of course we all know this is mental flatulence, but I've had a really hard time getting him past that mentality. Regardless, I've implemented several Linux boxes on the back end, and use it as my primary workstation. It serves us admirably, and we're slowly moving him past his head-in-the-sand syndrome.

But you're also right about people fixating on their platform of choice, for whatever reason. Personally I'm fond of the notion that anyone who's ever worked on a real network OS would never willingly choose windows. The trick is getting them past their fear and inertia threshold.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!