Good point at the end

Story: Why Wal-Mart won't have Linux desktops on its store shelvesTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
rijelkentaurus

Mar 13, 2008
6:19 PM EDT
In regards to KMyMoney and GNUCash, I think he's right. They're nice programs and need to be touted as much as OOo and FF, perhaps more.
dinotrac

Mar 13, 2008
6:57 PM EDT
Yes, but the real point, I think, is this:

Wal-Mart is volume sensitive. They sell at very low margins and need to move high volume at low cost in order to make a profit.

Selling a machine that:

a) Relatively (in Wal-Mart terms) few people want, and/or b) gets returned in high volume,

doesn't fit Wal-Mart's model.

Things are better in the online store because the machines are not taking up valuable ( and expensive) real estate.

nalf38

Mar 13, 2008
8:37 PM EDT
In other words, the PCs have a high return rate because their sales staff is as stupid as the people buying it.
dinotrac

Mar 14, 2008
5:27 AM EDT
nalf38 -

No. Wal-Mart doesn't use sales people in any real sense of the word, and most people would have trouble understanding that the PCs are not Windows machines.

What's stupid is failing to understand the world around you.
ColonelPanik

Mar 14, 2008
5:57 AM EDT
The whole FOSS concept is so different that it may be impossible to plug Linux boxes into any current merchandising channel.
dinotrac

Mar 14, 2008
6:12 AM EDT
CP --

I think you are correct on that. FOSS is in an eternal catch-22, especially when it comes to big box stores.

Big boxes work well with products that customers come in prepared to buy. Very few people come in prepared to buy Linux.

Marketing, not technology, is the Achilles heel of FOSS.
gus3

Mar 14, 2008
9:47 AM EDT
How does that reconcile with selling their entire stock? After all, they did sell it.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 14, 2008
9:57 AM EDT
gus3; I think its because it did not sell in the numbers they had hoped. My guess is that they set the bar for how many would sell and in what amount of time a little to high.

To be honest I was really surprised that wal-mart even took the chance on selling them period.
tracyanne

Mar 14, 2008
1:44 PM EDT
What Scott says and

Quoting:Marketing, not technology, is the Achilles heel of FOSS.

what dino says is the most likely explanation.
ColonelPanik

Mar 15, 2008
6:52 AM EDT
Check the employee turn-over rate for Wally-World. Check the pay scale. Check your expectations that you can talk to the person that sold you the machine. Or that that person even knows what they are selling.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!