Good catch

Story: The REAL reason we use LinuxTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
jezuch

Mar 15, 2008
4:35 AM EDT
Quoting:We use Linux because it's fun!

Yes!

But for me the most important factor is point 1.: Linux gives you complete control. It's entirely possible that I'm a control freak ;) But I hate it when my computer does something and I don't know why it does it.
montezuma

Mar 15, 2008
5:26 AM EDT
Actually I use it because it has saved me a huge amount of money. Really. MS Office plus Scientific word plus Vista = $2000 just for starters.....

A few years ago you could have argued that the open source replacements were too buggy for a production environment. Not any more. You could also have argued that all the tooling around linux required was a cost. Not anymore. If I compare the pain of keeping a windows computer virus free with the occasional visit to a forum to sort out a linux issue its a wash.

I just don't like throwing money down the toilet.
cubrewer

Mar 16, 2008
10:04 AM EDT
I think Vlad misses a point--FREEDOM is fun, being patronized is not fun. Microsoft's commercial products are like a rash that you cannot scratch (and for which FLOSS is the only cure).
jezuch

Mar 16, 2008
2:25 PM EDT
Quoting:FREEDOM is fun

That's a good point too, but... I would say that freedom is the norm and it should only be noticeable when some of it is taken. Like, you think about freedom only when you are using Windows. You know, there's no light without darkness and stuff :)

So, another Linux slogan? "Linux brings back sanity to the Universe!" ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!