Driving out the snakes . . .

Story: Celebrate St. Partick's Day, Linux-styleTotal Replies: 21
Author Content
lcafiero

Mar 17, 2008
9:11 AM EDT
. . . whether it really happened or whether it's legend, you have to hand it to St. Patrick. He knew what to do with slippery creatures, and today he serves as an inspiration in driving out the snakes, whether they are the scaly ones that slither across the ground, or whether they are the two-legged variety that slither in places like -- oh, I don't know -- executive offices in Redmond, maybe?

While hoisting a Guinness for a toast, I'm using Linux Mint and gNewSense today, in honor or Eire.
ColonelPanik

Mar 17, 2008
9:49 AM EDT
Lets send St. Patrick to Redmond.

FWIW: "Pope Patrick" By DeRosa. You will laugh like never before.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 17, 2008
11:31 AM EDT
I'm part Scottish, does that count?

;-)
ColonelPanik

Mar 17, 2008
11:48 AM EDT
Maybe somewhere?
number6x

Mar 17, 2008
12:05 PM EDT
Patrick was born in England, the son of Romans (so he was 1st generation English). Bill gates is an OBE, but I don't think he's Italian.

He was captured by heathen Irish savages on a pillaging raid and brought back to their land (The land where my parents were born) as a slave.

Patrick escaped his slavery in a very innovative way. He was left to tend the sheep alone and he simply walked away and negotiated passage back to England. He had a vision that a boat would be available to take him to England.

He later returned to drive out the snakes and convert the heathens to Christianity using the three leafed shamrock as a tool to explain the Christian concept of the trinity.

I look at how most people celebrate St. Patrick's feast day and guess it is a celebration of the pillaging. Could be a good connection there for the Redmond policy of Embrace and Extend.

I'm not sure if the Scots went for all the pillaging, Patrick excommunicated some who did pillage. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceretic_of_Alt_Clut

Microsoft's European HQ is in Cork Ireland, maybe that is where they stage their pillaging from?
happyfeet

Mar 17, 2008
12:44 PM EDT
Quoting: Microsoft's European HQ is in Cork Ireland, maybe that is where they stage their pillaging from?

Oooh........
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 17, 2008
1:20 PM EDT
PILLAGE!!

I LOVE PILLAGING!!!

oh, wait..

There's no St. Scots Day..

:-(

Sander_Marechal

Mar 17, 2008
1:32 PM EDT
There's Scots Day. Close enough :-)

[url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=iceweasel-a&rls=org.debian:en-US:unofficial&q="Scots Day"&btnG=Search]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=iceweasel...[/url]
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 17, 2008
1:47 PM EDT
Cooool!

I have my own day!!!

Yippie!!

Now where's my skirt, I mean kilt..

LOL!!
herzeleid

Mar 17, 2008
2:55 PM EDT
Ruecker would appear to be a German name...
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 17, 2008
4:30 PM EDT
Yes, but Randolph, my middle name, is most certainly Scottish.

edit: Randolph, is a Sept of the House of Bruce. My German side goes back to an orphanage in Germany around 1900.
tracyanne

Mar 17, 2008
4:31 PM EDT
I'm Irish/Polynesian.
dinotrac

Mar 17, 2008
7:02 PM EDT
I hate St. Patrick's day.

All my python stuff stops working.
tuxchick

Mar 17, 2008
7:19 PM EDT
I'm a genuine mongrel-american. I want my own day.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 17, 2008
10:39 PM EDT
Isn't that what the 4th of July is for?
dinotrac

Mar 18, 2008
6:39 AM EDT
>Isn't that what the 4th of July is for?

You would think so, but the part of me that is Cherokee always feels conflicted.
NoDough

Mar 18, 2008
11:39 AM EDT
Quoting:You would think so, but the part of me that is Cherokee always feels conflicted.

I don't get it. What does your Jeep have to do with this? ;-)
number6x

Mar 18, 2008
11:45 AM EDT
Jeeps are from Chrysler...

Chrysler is from Flint Michigan...

Flint is close to Detroit...

Detroit is practically in Canada!

Dino is worried that it might get out he's a Canuck!
ColonelPanik

Mar 18, 2008
1:34 PM EDT
number6x: w00t
dinotrac

Mar 18, 2008
9:08 PM EDT
6x -

I am not Canadian...although,

My father-in-law is from Canada. I used to date a woman who's ex-husband lived in Ottowa and we would drive to Toronto for child handovers.

When in college at Michigan State, I got into the habit of driving up to Lake Simcoe to get blasted on 50 and whatever else locals would ply me with. Given the nature of my smooth relationships with women, I came to know the way well. Grew up in the south, so became of the few people anywhere who might say "How y'all doin', eh?".

jdixon

Mar 19, 2008
12:01 PM EDT
> ...so became of the few people anywhere who might say "How y'all doin', eh?

There was a football player (quarterback) from (I believe) Montreal who attended college at Marshall University in Huntington, WV. At the time he started at Marshall he spoke primarily French, not English. So, by the time he went back to Canada he spoke English with a southern WV accent. And yes, that probably includes "you all".
dinotrac

Mar 19, 2008
12:41 PM EDT
jdixon -

;0)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!