A very well reasoned response

Story: A response to Patrick Durusau: Who Loses If OpenXML Loses?Total Replies: 1
Author Content
davescafe

Mar 26, 2008
9:37 AM EDT
Sander_Marechal - Thank you for crafting a very well-stated, well-reasoned response to Patrick Durusau's fear, uncertainty and doubt regarding Microsoft's OOXML proposal to the ISO. The ISO standardization process with regards to OOXML is like a shotgun wedding, and Microsoft is holding the shotgun. The Fast Track is obviously not the right way to handle the DIS 29500, and your point-by-point rebuttal of Patrick Durusau's letter makes this clear.
vainrveenr

Mar 26, 2008
11:15 AM EDT
davescafe is seconded here --- or thirded/fourthed/... in case of interjection. Here again, is the exact text of Patrick Durusau's quote at the end of the LXer article:
Quoting:Update: Patrick Durusau has sent me a response to this article: Sander, Since I have spent the last six years of my life working on and improving the ODF standard I feel no need to formally respond to your obviously ill-informed post. I have spend the last six years working on ODF, posting corrections to every version, leading the new metadata work, and now work as the TC editor. I don't have to answer questions about my commitment to ODF from you or anyone else. You can publish that as my response if you like. Patrick
(from http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/101017/index.html) Sure seems from this that Durusau is lashing out from being called head-on for his bold FUD attempt.

On a related note, Open Source India just published a piece entitled 'Microsoft files complaint on OOXML vote to apex office and Ministry of Consumer Affairs' (http://osindia.blogspot.com/2008/03/microsoft-files-complain...) that clearly reinforces the astounding extent to which Microsoft will go in order to discredit any opposition to approval of its own OOXML standard (this besides Durusau's and others' FUD). Just as Durusau's reaction speaks volumes above, so do the opening paragraph and penultimate narrative sentence of this Open Source India piece :
Quoting:I love Microsoft for their sheer willingness to piss off every human being on this planet in their quest for approval of OOXML. At the meeting held on 20th March 2008, we were informed that Microsoft has complained to the Ministry of Consumer Affairs and to the apex office of the country about the constitution of the committee and also cast aspersions on the impartiality of the chairperson of LITD15, Mrs. Neeta Verma. The chairperson was furious and offered to step down from her post. She pointed out that the committee has met numerous times and Microsoft never brought this issue up in front of the committee nor did they check the facts with her or her organization before complaining to the apex office. I do not have a copy of their complaint but am assuming that their complaint is that the committee is packed with supporters of ODF.
Quoting:Considering the fact that some of the finest technical minds in the country have spent more than a year reviewing OOXML before India finally voted No, I feel that Microsoft's complaint is a great disservice to the committee, its chairperson and the Bureau of Indian Standards.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!