He must be on MS anodyne...

Story: PenguinPolitik: Only Ballmer could go to LinuxTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
VisiGoth

Apr 04, 2008
6:58 AM EDT
He's just another microsoft fanboy.

They are set on killing Linux, make no mistake about it. I've heard Ballmer and top management say it and I've seen it in black and white.
nikkels

Apr 04, 2008
7:16 AM EDT
Well, it's called self defense and it's legal.

Ballmer has found out that linux is a cancer, and he is defending himself by trying to kill it. Unfortunately, it's not so easy, and more often than not, the cancer wins.

So, ........hang on.!
herzeleid

Apr 04, 2008
9:20 AM EDT
The tone of the article seems to be a bit condescending towards the linux community, while minimizing the misconduct of the redmond monopolist. Not much of real substance there at any rate.
tracyanne

Apr 04, 2008
2:15 PM EDT
Quoting:. And with a fully implemented NTFS, it will be much easier to sell Linux to end-users on the desktop, because it’s a file system they already know how to deal with.

Huh?
tuxchick

Apr 04, 2008
2:26 PM EDT
lol tracyanne, I missed that :)
techiem2

Apr 04, 2008
2:51 PM EDT
ROFL. Install Linux on NTFS...
theboomboomcars

Apr 04, 2008
4:19 PM EDT
End users don't want to deal with the file system. With NTFS they are forced to defrag, but most don't, they pay someone else lots of money to. So having a filesystem that can be ignored seems to be they way to go.
gus3

Apr 04, 2008
8:56 PM EDT
Quoting:With NTFS they are forced to defrag
I would adjust that to say:

"With NTFS on Windows they are forced to defrag..."

In Linux, we can experiment with allocation schemes to minimize fragmentation. Windows has very little opportunity to do that.
hkwint

Apr 06, 2008
8:08 AM EDT
I understood NTFS has its own defragmentation method, so it's probably not that bad.
gus3

Apr 06, 2008
8:29 AM EDT
Microsoft was forced by customer demand to package a defrag program for NTFS, after Disk Keeper demonstrated how severe fragmentation could be on an NTFS volume.
hkwint

Apr 06, 2008
10:21 AM EDT
Hmm, OK, now I understand a tiny bit more of it. Anyway, great thing about NTFS are the surprised faces of Windows users you get when using a Lin-LiveCD to access their file-system. It's quite new to them the permissions do 'not work' when you use their NTFS-partitions from a LiveCD.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 06, 2008
11:42 AM EDT
Don't forget that the same applies to any (non-encrypted) *nix filesystem. Can't access some files? Run a live CD or hook up the drive to a machine you have root access to.

Nothing is safe if you have physical access.
jdixon

Apr 06, 2008
4:31 PM EDT
> Nothing is safe if you have physical access.

Which is something which cannot be repeated often enough. But, by and large, you're preaching to the choir here.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!