Here's the point!

Story: Open Graphics Project to Announce Pre-OrdersTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
thenixedreport

Apr 12, 2008
10:29 PM EDT
It's for hardware hackers. Those who want to figure out how the blasted thing works and for those who wish to push the blasted thing further. In other words, they appear to be developer kits. ;)
Sander_Marechal

Apr 13, 2008
1:34 AM EDT
Yes. And $1500 fore a fully programmable FPGA board is downright cheap when compared to the competition.
dinotrac

Apr 13, 2008
1:55 AM EDT
Not a hardware hacker here, so I'm probably missing something .... but, as to figuring out how the thing works, I thought the whole point of open hardware was the availability of specs so that you didn't have to figure out how the thing works.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 13, 2008
3:48 AM EDT
Not that kind of figuring out, dino. Figuring out like you did when you were little and took your radio apart. The kind of figuring out that you need open hardware and specs for. Not reverse engineering.
dinotrac

Apr 13, 2008
6:29 AM EDT
ah.
r_a_trip

Apr 13, 2008
7:00 AM EDT
So like I said:

Who buys a $1,500 card, when it is stone age compared to an off the shelf $80 card with vendor encouraged FOSS drivers? Hardware enthusiasts, maybe. OGD is irrelevant for the majority of FOSS users.

And confirmed by Miller:

OGD1 is for hardware hackers. This isn't just about graphics. It's for the community of people who want to tinker with their own hardware ideas, students who want to learn, and professionals who need a prototyping platform.

While having open and "cheap" prototyping boards available to researchers is a good thing, OGP does not change the graphics landscape. The initial mission statement has not been fulfilled and most likely OGP never will. They should rename the project and adopt a new mission statement.
thenixedreport

Apr 13, 2008
8:58 PM EDT
Quoting:OGD is irrelevant for the majority of FOSS users.

Not necessarily.
gus3

Apr 13, 2008
10:20 PM EDT
Irrelevant, in the short run, perhaps. In the long run, who knows what kind of impact it may have?

(I know, that can be said about many projects. All I ask is to keep a somewhat open mind.)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!