Bitten by DRM

Story: MSN Music to ex-customers: So you thought you bought that song for life, eh?Total Replies: 30
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Apr 25, 2008
6:43 AM EDT
Can't say people weren't warned about the hazards of DRM.
gus3

Apr 25, 2008
6:54 AM EDT
Time to use that analog loophole!
jhansonxi

Apr 25, 2008
12:17 PM EDT
Author John Ringo wrote a tale of his fun with Vista, MSN Music, DRM, and Microsoft tech support: http://www.johnringo.com/Abyss/OMFG.pdf (pdf)
helios

Apr 26, 2008
5:02 AM EDT
These days, I only don the tinfoil hat on special occasions. I mean, there was a time when my nickname was "Tom Terrific." If you are old enough to know who Tom Terrific was, we ought to get together and form the Captain Kangaroo Curmugeon Club.

The fact that these three special little letters are still around harrasing people is testimony to the deep and pervasive corruption under a particular domed building in Washington. I was surprised to hear Clark Howard say the same during his radio show the other day. I used to scoff at those who talked of money changing hands in bulky envelopes and Swiss bank accounts. I have come to the conclusion that the only things that have changed are the sophistication of the delivery methods and the names of the people receiving said funds.

The one thing that never ceases to amaze me is the audacity in which Microsoft et al continues e to run their numbers games on the streets of America.

h
jdixon

Apr 26, 2008
1:10 PM EDT
> If you are old enough to know who Tom Terrific was, we ought to get together and form the Captain Kangaroo Curmugeon Club.

I'm sure we could find a few members here besides the two of us.

> I have come to the conclusion that the only things that have changed...

People don't change Ken. We are what we are. Individuals change, but the basic nature of the species is a relative constant. :(
dinotrac

Apr 27, 2008
1:16 AM EDT
Mr Moose...

Mr. Moose?

Are you there?
jdixon

Apr 27, 2008
12:35 PM EDT
It looks like Mr. Moose (Cosmo 'Gus' Allegretti) may still be with us, but per Wikipedia, the Captain and Mr. Green Jeans have both left us for hopefully greener pastures.
tuxchick

Apr 27, 2008
12:41 PM EDT
wow, there sure are a lot of really old people here.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 27, 2008
2:38 PM EDT
45 is not old.
dinotrac

Apr 27, 2008
3:31 PM EDT
I was 45 once.

Sigh.

You know what they say:

Life begins at 40.

Course, it ends at 41...
tuxchick

Apr 27, 2008
5:55 PM EDT
45? You pup.
jdixon

Apr 27, 2008
6:33 PM EDT
> You know what they say ... Life begins at 40.

They lie.
gus3

Apr 27, 2008
8:20 PM EDT
tc, you're over 45? You don't look a day older than 46.

Quoting:> You know what they say ... Life begins at 40.

They lie.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm counting the days to 40.
tuxchick

Apr 27, 2008
8:29 PM EDT
Quoting: I'm counting the days to 40.

Counting backwards doens't make you younger.
gus3

Apr 27, 2008
8:41 PM EDT
Counting forward doesn't seem to help, either. And I've been doing it for almost 40 years now.
tracyanne

Apr 27, 2008
9:31 PM EDT
I was there when Jesus had his moment of doubt and pain
techiem2

Apr 27, 2008
9:33 PM EDT
/me must be the youngster in the room
dinotrac

Apr 28, 2008
3:36 AM EDT
>Counting backwards doens't make you younger.

Damn.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 28, 2008
8:29 AM EDT
"Patton's taken Palermo!"

Damn.
herzeleid

Apr 28, 2008
8:37 AM EDT
> Life begins at 40.

40? pfft.

There is an old, well known Chinese saying that life begins at 70!
nicsmr

Apr 28, 2008
9:47 AM EDT
you know the OLD saying about one being older than dust?

Well I was around when dust was still rock...EH.

Scott_Ruecker

Apr 28, 2008
10:13 AM EDT
I'll wait for 40 thanks. I've got 3 years to wait.

But i do remember Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans too!

number6x

Apr 28, 2008
11:22 AM EDT
I'm very glad to hear 45 is not old.

Could someone repeat that in my good ear?
Bullwinkle

May 02, 2008
8:45 AM EDT
Huh? Oh sorry, wrong Moose.
helios

May 02, 2008
6:08 PM EDT
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a AARP membership application out of my......

hat.

'scuse the pause...I was mulling over the options of where THEY might stick said application.

h
Bob_Robertson

May 03, 2008
5:56 AM EDT
> AARP

Another PAC created to lobby Washington for special favors. Abominable.
phsolide

May 03, 2008
11:01 AM EDT
I bet I'm older than everyone here, except maybe Dinotrac: I remember the November '88 Internet worm, in person, and realizing that the megacorp I worked for would have had some problems with it, had they actually possessed an internet connection. The lack of connection seemed weird to me, as it was a major defence contractor. We had to wait until late '89 to FTP racy pictures from http://ftp.washington.edu

Why, I argued with Serdar Argic in soc.history, that's how old I am.
gus3

May 03, 2008
8:27 PM EDT
@phsolide:

I remember that, too. Our sysadmin closed off the external Internet connection for the VAXcluster, leaving us with only Bitnet for email.
tuxchick

May 03, 2008
8:46 PM EDT
Help help, the thread is getting smothered in geekbeards.
Bob_Robertson

May 04, 2008
6:38 AM EDT
At the time of the First Worm, I was playing paper/tape/JCL jock as it were, in an IBM mainframe shop.

No connection to the INTERnet. I found that out by having two of the big-time suits, one systems programmer and the network guy, all in the operations room yelling over the fans about whether or not we were vulnerable. The suits required a detailed explanation why not, which was my introduction to the network guy who a year later I was working with.

I think a good part of my hearing loss was because of those #$%^& fans. I still get a heavy sense of familiarity whenever I go into a raised-floor area.
NoDough

May 05, 2008
8:52 AM EDT
I was managing IPX/SPX over ArcNET. No Internet connection. Biggest virus threat was boot sector floppy viruses.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!