Mandriva 2008.1 - bargain

Story: XP cheaper than Linux on new Eee PC 900Total Replies: 8
Author Content
mark_oz

May 07, 2008
6:27 AM EDT
So I'll just buy the XP version for $150 less outlay, and immediately wipe the XP without ever agreeing to the EULA.

I'll then install Mandriva 2008.1 onto the wiped machine, so that I get a faster machine which does not need (and hence won't be slowed by) anti-virus, and I'll also get a full suite of applications for zero extra cost.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_What's_New#Asus_Eee-frien... http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Image:20081_eee.jpg

Since I did not agree to the EULA, then according to that same EULA I should be entitled to a refund from whichever mass-market retailer I buy it from.
rijelkentaurus

May 07, 2008
6:30 AM EDT
If you're gonna buy it, buy the Linux version, the hdd is 8gb larger.

Good luck on the refund, LOL.
mark_oz

May 07, 2008
6:58 AM EDT
"If you're gonna buy it, buy the Linux version, the hdd is 8gb larger."

I can buy an 8GB SD card for less than $150.

http://www.cheapchips.com.au/memory/lexar-sdhc-card-8gb-with... ($59.95)

"Good luck on the refund, LOL."

I might take pictures of myself opening the box and refusing the EULA. I'd bet that the mass-market retailers in Australia do not even know that the XP EULA says that if I don't accept the EULA, they owe me a refund.

Certainly Asus Australia seems to be betting that people don't know that.
rijelkentaurus

May 07, 2008
7:03 AM EDT
Your card will cost you $9.95 more than the Linux version. It's only a $50 difference, not $150. And if you're like me, you'll lose the dang SD card the first time you take it out of the PC.
mark_oz

May 07, 2008
7:19 AM EDT
"It's only a $50 difference, not $150."

Sorry, you are quite correct, I was getting carried away ... I thought I had spotted a bargain there.

The extra 8GB of memory in the Linux version is costing you more than that $50 difference however ... the XP version has about $50 worth of XP license (aka Microsoft tax) thrown in that a Linux version should not have ... so that 8GB is costing you in reality $100.

So why can't I buy the machine with the smaller memory but with Linux installed for $549 ? Or even with no OS ... I do have a Mandriva 2008.1 LiveCD already, and from that I can make a bootable USB memory stick. These are the options I would very much prefer to be offered.

I might even put this question to a store manager ... just for interest's sake. Show them what the EULA says. Ask them if I can have it for $549 after we wipe the disk of XP right there in the store. Otherwise it would be a story on Today Tonight ... they might even agree just to keep me quiet.
Sander_Marechal

May 07, 2008
7:35 AM EDT
Quoting:I might take pictures of myself opening the box and refusing the EULA. I'd bet that the mass-market retailers in Australia do not even know that the XP EULA says that if I don't accept the EULA, they owe me a refund.

Problem: MS recently changed the EULA. If you refuse it and want a refund from your OEM, you have to return the whole system. No more returning just the OS and keeping the machine.

I don't know if and how any local tied-sales laws (whats the proper word again) would impact this.
dinotrac

May 07, 2008
8:53 AM EDT
Sander -

I would be interested in that too. I'm betting no tied sales laws because the tied products don't come from the same source and nobody is claiming that PC vendors are monopolists.
tracyanne

May 07, 2008
1:19 PM EDT
Go for it mark_oz, I'll even watch Today tonight just to see your complaint get aired.
moopst

May 07, 2008
7:55 PM EDT
So what are they going to do when the Linux version sells better than expected? "Kwazy ppl pay more for less?"

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!