Awesome

Story: GNOME SlackBuild GNOME 2.22.1 Released for Slackware 12.1Total Replies: 9
Author Content
bigg

May 13, 2008
12:19 PM EDT
The download page was up before, but I tried it and it didn't work. Slackware is good, but not good enough to get me to give up GNOME.
fidesratio

May 13, 2008
1:59 PM EDT
Snuh? Download page works fine. :)
Steven_Rosenber

May 13, 2008
2:22 PM EDT
Maybe the GNOME install itself didn't work.

I'd try it, but if I want GNOME, I'll just install Debian.
number6x

May 13, 2008
2:23 PM EDT
bigg,

I don't get it. If you use slackware with gnome, how would that be giving up gnome?

Am I not understanding you correctly?
bigg

May 13, 2008
4:07 PM EDT
Sorry to not be clear. I tried GNOME SlackBuild a couple days ago, and at that time couldn't get it to download, even though the page said it was available. Dropline GNOME is not yet available for Slackware 12.1 either, so I was running XFCE. I will now be able to install and run Slackware 12.1 + GNOME, hence my title of "Awesome".
number6x

May 14, 2008
5:43 AM EDT
Thanks bigg.

The first thing I usually do with gnome based distros is install XFCE!

I'm glad free software gives us all the choice.
jdixon

May 14, 2008
7:19 AM EDT
> The first thing I usually do with gnome based distros is install XFCE!

XFCE is my favorite windowing environment too, but both my wife and I really need Evolution as our email client. It's the only one which seems to meet all of our needs. I've been getting by with a garnome compile of Evolution, but Meredith really seems to prefer a full Gnome environment. Now I can upgrade her to 12.1 whenever we can find the time.

Steven_Rosenber

May 14, 2008
7:21 PM EDT
Say what you will about GNOME, but it's relatively quick, has a lot of nice utilities. It's working for me, for the moment, anyway.
number6x

May 15, 2008
7:50 AM EDT
there are very few WM's I dislike. I just prefer some more than others.
rijelkentaurus

May 15, 2008
7:54 AM EDT
The only WM I hate is the one on Windows.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!