Nice article

Story: Exceptional Linux programs for KidsTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
red5

May 15, 2008
1:11 PM EDT
really great wrapup (that's isn't just about Edubuntu either). If you've got kids this is the way to go. Penguins are kid friendly
Steven_Rosenber

May 15, 2008
4:24 PM EDT
I'd like to put in a plug for Childsplay, another educational suite for kids that my 4-year-old really likes.
tracyanne

May 18, 2008
12:47 PM EDT
I can tell you this. In Australia it is next to impossible to sell Linux computers, or even give them away, to People with School age children. The education department Curriculum requires Microsoft Office, and this year it requires Microsoft Office 2007, which currently does not run under WINE reliably.

Basically our Education Department acts as a sales consultant for Microsoft.
Scott_Ruecker

May 18, 2008
12:56 PM EDT
Quoting:Basically our Education Department acts as a sales consultant for Microsoft.

Don't feel bad Tracy, its not just in Australia that Education Departments act like sales associates.
tracyanne

May 18, 2008
3:24 PM EDT
The really annoying thing about it all is that the Curriculum doesn't address the teaching of word processing, ot spreadsheeting or computer based presentations, which could be taught with any office package, or any combination of office packages. the Curriculum defines the teaching of the navigation of the Microsoft Office menu structure. It's rote learning, and it actually teaches the children nothing.
Scott_Ruecker

May 18, 2008
7:27 PM EDT
Exactly Tracy, it teaches them nothing that MS doesn't want them to know. It teaches them to not like anything different, or worse, non Microsoft.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!