Good luck to the Ubunteroos

Story: Fixing Debian OpenSSLTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
montezuma

May 16, 2008
7:51 AM EDT
This bug is a nightmare. I had to klutz around on 5 boxes and regenerate ssh keys. I had 3 compromised keys. I worry about all those newbie Ubuntu users though who have little experience of this kind of thing. Hopefully most are running desktops not exposed directly to the internet (i.e. behind a router) or have not activated sshd. Otherwise we could see a big uptick in brute force attacks etc etc...

Not pretty.
garymax

May 16, 2008
8:29 AM EDT
My understanding is that the keys were regenerated with the fix Ubuntu provided. My father runs Ubuntu and this is what the update implied...
tuxchick

May 16, 2008
9:14 AM EDT
The degree of nightmare corresponds to however many ssh keys you have floating around in the world, plus however many public keys you have exchanged with other people. Those won't be fixed by any automatic Debianbuntuetc. updates.
garymax

May 16, 2008
10:01 AM EDT
The worst case scenario is that those to whom you gave a public key will no longer be able to access your box. Thank goodness my father only exchanged keys with my machine. whew!

Good thing I am using Slackware...
gus3

May 16, 2008
10:08 AM EDT
@garymax:

How much do you trust Patrick's trust in OpenSS[LH]?

(My local Slackware source mirror shows no patches in OpenSSH, and only ./Configure adjustments to architecture specs in OpenSSL.)
montezuma

May 16, 2008
10:17 AM EDT
> The degree of nightmare corresponds to however many ssh keys you have floating around

Exactly. One thing that got me thinking was freenx which I use a lot between boxes. It appears to have its own set of keys for the user nx. They are in /usr/NX/home/nx/.ssh/ I am unclear at present whether the diagnostic tools (the perl one mentioned in the other thread and ssh-vulnkey) check the nx keys or not....
garymax

May 16, 2008
10:22 AM EDT
gus3

The issue was with a Debian-based number generator for one. Secondly, Patrick does not patch upstream source code. So if there were a vulnerability the original upstream developers would have found it and patched it before now.

Steven J. Vaugh-Nichols has a great post on his web site about this vulnerability. Among his astute observations is that Debian takes upstream and "forks" the code to a certain extent. Then they keep the code to themselves. This is one reason why the vulnerability has lasted this long.

SJVN said the following:

"You see Debian developers have this cute habit of keeping their changes to themselves rather than passing them upstream to any program’s actual maintainers. Essentially, what Debian ends up doing is forking programs. There’s the Debian version and then there’s the real version."

In contrast, Slackware uses upstream source with little or no patches. It has proved secure thus far. It isn't a Patrick Volkerding (The Man!) thing; it's about code transparency vs forking.

So, yes, I trust Slackware.
hughesjr

May 16, 2008
11:02 AM EDT
@garymax

not at all (wrt keys being regenerated)

any keys generated by the affected ububtu systems must be found and regenerated ... the update does not say that only installing the update is the only thing required.

http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-2

In fact is says:

Check all OpenSSH user keys.

It includes a tool to help ... but it only looks in known places.

montezuma

May 16, 2008
12:30 PM EDT
To answer my own question here is the security advisory from nomachines regarding nx

http://www.nomachine.com/news-read.php?idnews=237

To my chagrin I found 3 MORE compromised keys.

There is a huge (incomplete) list of affected secondary applications on the Debian wiki.

What a mess!
garymax

May 16, 2008
1:56 PM EDT
hughesjr

Understand about keys issued to others but I only had one machine with Ubuntu on it and it belongs to my father. What I had reference to was the keys on your own machine--they were regenerated by the update.

I agree that any keys issued by the affected machine would have to be discarded and regenerated.
jdixon

May 16, 2008
8:58 PM EDT
> Secondly, Patrick does not patch upstream source code.

To be fair, I think it's more accurate to say that Patrick patches upstream source code only when absolutely necessary.

Which is pretty much what you said later on.
garymax

May 16, 2008
9:04 PM EDT
jdixon

My oversight. Patrick certainly does when it needs to be done for a stable system. Thanks for catching that and covering for a fellow Slacker! :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!