HTML5's biggest flaw...

Story: W3C 'clarifies' HTML 5 v XHTMLTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

May 17, 2008
12:01 PM EDT
HTML5's biggest flaw is that it's HTML. That means it's SGML and not XML. God only knows why WHATWG decided to work off HTML4 instead of XHTML1. They'll now miss out on the wonderfull world of XML with all it's uses. Practical example: You can't embed it in an atom XML feed. Which means that you can't use useful things like the video tag in them.

The only reason I can think off why they would do this is because they "felt" like they couldn't also be working on XHTML2 since W3C was already working on it. And that's a pretty lousy reason to stick with SGML.
gus3

May 17, 2008
6:57 PM EDT
As a counterpoint:

Say you have some data. Your only problem is how to represent it.

You go with XML.

Now you have two problems.

Just sayin'.
npan

May 18, 2008
2:57 AM EDT
1. HTML5 has a video element. 2. The HTML5 draft defines a parallel XML serialization for HTML5. The XML serialization is called XHTML5.
jezuch

May 18, 2008
3:40 AM EDT
Quoting:The XML serialization is called XHTML5

Oh great. I love the confusion.

AFAIR they decided to work off HTML because they wanted evolution, not revolution. I think they're wrong, because it will waste a great chance to clean up this HTML mess, but at least I understand them...
Sander_Marechal

May 18, 2008
8:50 AM EDT
Quoting:The XML serialization is called XHTML5

Sigh...

While HTML5 does have some nice features, it's stupid things like this that makes me prefer XHTML2 when it's out.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!