Obviously, the writer never heard of BitTorrent.

Story: Death knell for television as we know itTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

May 26, 2008
8:00 AM EDT
n/t
techiem2

May 26, 2008
8:37 AM EDT
lol. *looks at his computer with internet and tv tuner that lets him watch standard tv or anything streaming over lan or inet*

Of course, as usual this would require a stable high bandwidth connection. And as we have mentioned many times before, we aren't even close to having that everywhere in the US.

Also, this isn't exactly a "new" idea or technology. I setup an IPTV system for someone just recently. Of course, it wasn't built into the TV itself. It had a nice box that you hooked into your lan (wired or wireless) and hooked up to your TV/VCR/whatever.

Of course, setting a standard for IPTV services so a settop box for each provider isn't required is nice, but you still have to get the providers to switch to using it....
tuxchick

May 26, 2008
10:03 AM EDT
Quoting: this would require a stable high bandwidth connection. And as we have mentioned many times before, we aren't even close to having that everywhere in the US.

Even worse, in some places it is tantalizingly close, yet still out of reach. I live one mile from my telco, which is rolling out fiber all over the place, but due to whatever policies they use to set boundaries and priorities for last-mile, it might as well be a hundred miles for me. I get antique 648k/256k DSL. Which is better than sitting in the rain and crying, but still....
jdixon

May 26, 2008
10:22 AM EDT
TC, I know lots of folks who are still stuck with dialup. That's about the same as setting in the rain and crying. Until two years ago, we were stuck with a one way satellite service for $50/month. We now have 1.5M/128K DSL, but I still think it's only because the Governor's home town is on the same CO.
tuxchick

May 26, 2008
10:29 AM EDT
Quoting: it's only because the Governor's home town is on the same CO.

Funny how those things work. Out here at the tail end of nowhere I doubt the mayor even knows what the internets is :)
jezuch

May 26, 2008
1:50 PM EDT
Quoting:And as we have mentioned many times before, we aren't even close to having that everywhere in the US.

That's because your telcos learned something from communist governments of not-so-long-past Europe:

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20071005_0031...

Shortage economy, baby!!
Bob_Robertson

May 26, 2008
2:34 PM EDT
Because they are granted legal monopolies by the various governments. Otherwise, they would have to innovate in competition with other providers.

Monopoly grants are made specifically to eliminate "wasteful" competition. An oxymoron.
GDStewart

May 26, 2008
2:40 PM EDT
At least I get fast cable service from Time Warner, although it cots me $57/month. I still can't get DSL from AT&T (and SW Bell before them) even though I live in the city limits of Dallas, TX. Of course AT&T owns my last mile so there are no alternative providers. They (AT&T) have recently started advertising Uverse here but it is unclear to me if I can just get Internet service or whether I must get the whole bundled service at $99/month plus an extra charge for three speed tiers of Internet service. At that price I'll stick with cable.
jdixon

May 26, 2008
4:27 PM EDT
> At least I get fast cable service from Time Warner...

Better them than Comcast, who is the local big provider. Comcast's "issues" with BitTorrent are well documented.
GDStewart

May 26, 2008
6:54 PM EDT
Until last year it was Comcast ! I've read about the bit torrent "stuff". Unfortunately for me, TW has just started experimenting with monthly download limits in another part of Texas.
techiem2

May 26, 2008
7:20 PM EDT
Fortunately Comcast doesn't seem to be messing with torrent much/at all here... Our only other choice is Verizon DSL...which I can't stand what with all the PPPOE stuff and whatnot.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!