not new, and not a problem?

Story: Free software vs. software-as-a-service: Is the GPL too weak for the Web?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
tuxchick

May 29, 2008
11:53 AM EDT
People have been running various services for profit for years using GPL and other FOSS applications, with email, Web hosting, and name services being the big three. The good hosting services do all kinds of custom scripting and coding, and this never sees the light of day, but stays in-house. I know I'd love to get my hands on some of the custom scripts the big hosts use to manage hundreds of nodes in their datacenters and thousands of customers, but they're not sharing.

So why the cries of alarm now? Web 2.0 and SAAS and all those buzzwords are just natural progressions of something that's been done for years. It didn't bother anyone when it was called BIND, Apache, PHP, Sendmail, Postfix, and so forth.
Bob_Robertson

May 29, 2008
12:53 PM EDT
> So why the cries of alarm now?

Envy.

Sander_Marechal

May 29, 2008
1:37 PM EDT
Quoting:The good hosting services do all kinds of custom scripting and coding, and this never sees the light of day, but stays in-house. I know I'd love to get my hands on some of the custom scripts the big hosts use to manage hundreds of nodes in their datacenters and thousands of customers, but they're not sharing.

Start an open source project about it. IMHO these kinds of "stacks" are exactly what FOSS needs next. Not so much a new distro, but a package for your favourite distro that depends on all the goodies needed, adds the integration bits and configures the stuff out-of-the-box in a post-install script.

Just look at Trac for example. A fine example of integration between Subversion, Bugzilla, a wiki and a mailinglist.
tuxchick

May 30, 2008
11:37 AM EDT
Quoting: Start an open source project about it. IMHO these kinds of "stacks" are exactly what FOSS needs next.

Hmmm. A splendid notion- I shall seriously ponder it. It's crazy to spend wads of money on overpriced, sort-of helpful commercial network management tools when a bit of smart scripting gets you there better and cheaper.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!