I am certain I am no longer seeing kernel updates upon rebooting ...

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Jun 20, 2008
11:28 AM EDT
Pertains to Ubuntu version 6.06 and 7.10

I had the impression twice that I was not seeing the latest kernel updates being effective upon rebooting, because in the case of 7.10 it no longer listed the last version number. I did what I could to see what was active and it was plausible I had the most recent version simply label as generic and stamped for mid to late Feb. Now, however, with today's new kernel I am certain I am two updates behind. It was a combination of 2.6.15.52 and 2.6.15.53 components that were added, but my kernel is still the old 51 from about the same time in February.

Have I been cracked? Any suggestions how to force the kernel upgrades and to check my system?

Previously updates went by so quickly I thought I misread the versions. This time it was only too clear even before I started the update.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 20, 2008
12:49 PM EDT
When your Ubuntu box does the update, it should reflect the newer kernels in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Do you have more than one OS on the drive? Perhaps the /boot/grub/menu.lst referred to by the Master Boot Record is NOT the one that the MBR is using.

So if you have more than one distro on the box, check menu.lst on both and copy the relevant info from one to the other. ...

I don't think this is your problem ... but it's a shot.

You can always reinstall GRUB once you've booted into Ubuntu ... here's one of the many Web pages that show how to do it: http://sunnyideas.wordpress.com/2008/04/05/reinstalling-grub...
TxtEdMacs

Jun 20, 2008
1:20 PM EDT
Steven,

I was going to answer you with all negatives, but I decided to look and my menu.lst on this drive and there I see version 52. However, the 7.10 is completely missing. So I am going back to what I had to do previously, manually edit the menus when updating on the other drive. Now it is calling the menu on the b (my second drive), but I updated on the hda.

Thanks for the help! Though I still wondering if my machine has been cracked.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 20, 2008
1:50 PM EDT
I don't think there was any cracking involved.

When you do a software update in a system like Ubuntu, a lot of scripts are run, and a lot of things need to be changed to accommodate new packages.

One of the most critical is updating the bootloader when new kernels are installed. I run a lot of dual- and triple-boot configurations, and most of the time Ubuntu and Debian are pretty good about looking for menu.lst files on all the relevant partitions and modifying them accordingly.

Sometimes they miss, however ... and you either have to get GRUB to re-create a menu.lst or go in there and add a stanza yourself.

I've also used Knoppix to restore GRUB on those occasions where I can't seem to boot at all. I got that method (detailed here: http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2008/04/knoppix-and-knoppix...) from "Knoppix Hacks," a book I recommend to everybody.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!