Already got it.

Story: Wine 1.1.0 ReleasedTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
tracyanne

Jun 28, 2008
4:20 PM EDT
It came down as an update on Mandriva last night. Which is quite interesting as Mandriva used to be really slow about doing release updates of WINE.
techiem2

Jun 29, 2008
5:29 AM EDT
It showed up in portage too (masked of course) so I updated one of my machines to it.
jdixon

Jun 29, 2008
5:44 AM EDT
Looks like it's already available for Slackware from slacky.eu, but I don't currently run anything which requires it, so I haven't bothered installing any version of wine.
helios

Jun 29, 2008
8:39 AM EDT
As a soon-to-be reseller of Crossover, I've just gotten my grubby grubs on the 7.0 release. There are some dramatic changes and improvements but you won't see them in the gui. Codeweavers persistently understates the ability of their app so as to lower expectations but I've for the first time been able to get my wife's Gamehouse games to work with this release...and the screen presentation is impressive...remember we're talking (not) emulation here so "impressive" is relative to what we've seen in the past.

Ken
jezuch

Jun 29, 2008
12:20 PM EDT
Even Debian got it already! Yay! :)
jdixon

Jun 29, 2008
12:24 PM EDT
> As a soon-to-be reseller of Crossover...

Crossover is the cat's meow, but only if you need guaranteed operation of their specific supported programs. For office use, I'd definitely consider them, though I might prefer to go with a Citrix solution. For home use, Wine probably meets most people's needs.

Have you had a chance to test out Crossover Games yet? LXer would probably love to have a review if so.
helios

Jun 29, 2008
4:37 PM EDT
I need a gamer...give me a gamer over here. No, give me two gamers. Not teenie bopper thumb-tumbling texters...I need two stone cold (stoned cold?) gamers. Any two of you game?

h Wait...
techiem2

Jun 29, 2008
4:43 PM EDT
Depends on what games you need... I have a few that I play in wine that run fairly well (though often there's some minor issues), and some that I wish would... Unfortunately I'm still tied to Windows for some games (bleeeeeh), and of course I'm not expecting the new games coming out to run in wine right away... I would be quite interested in knowing the improvements over normal wine that Crossover Games gives.

gus3

Jun 29, 2008
6:13 PM EDT
Tux Racer? Mahjongg? Sure. Just nothing that requires twitching. I don't twitch that well.
tracyanne

Jun 29, 2008
8:12 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't twitch that well.

Nor do I.
tuxchick

Jun 29, 2008
9:53 PM EDT
I'm ok at twitching, and I excel at gibbering.
stuntgp2000

Jun 29, 2008
11:20 PM EDT
@jezuch Could you please tell me how did you get it into Debian ? Because I have Debian Etch+backports, Debian Lenny & Debian Sid and none of them got version 1.1.0. Are you using 3rd party repositories ?
jacog

Jun 30, 2008
6:15 AM EDT
jdixon: I have/use Crossover Games, but I would be bad to offer a review since I am running just three games on it so far. I will happily go on a manic installfest of my entire game collection if you want. Unfortunately, my Oblivion disk is cracked (as in, it has a physical crack - not I pirated it), so I can't try that out (it worked with cedega, but I am no longer a supporter of their fork).

I will be picking up two unsupported games this weekend to also try.

One though I am not allowed to mention as it is for my wife and she is too embarrassed to let anyone know that she expressed interest in this particular game. ;)

EDIT: Another good test would be to install Riven on it. It's an old game, but it has an ancient version of Quicktime as a requirement, which should make it rather interesting to try and run.
jezuch

Jun 30, 2008
11:53 AM EDT
@stuntgp2000: sorry, I thought it was about v1.0 -- looks like it tells something about my reading comprehension skills ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!