Somewhat ironic...

Story: Ah Another Opportunity for Desktop LinuxTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
vainrveenr

Jun 30, 2008
9:10 AM EDT
SJVN commented five days ago on the demise of XP sales, within his 'Dear Microsoft, thanks for the help, Linux' at http://practical-tech.com/operating-system/dear-microsoft-th... :
Quoting:You gotta love it. Microsoft has decided that it will [go] ahead and kill off easy access to XP on June 30th. On behalf of desktop Linux users everywhere, and our first cousins, the Mac fans, thanks. You’ve given us the best shot we’ll ever have of taking the desktop.
MS seems to effectively cut off XP Desktop users with the faux-silver Vista knife.

Three days after SVJN describes how MS is giving the knife to new XP Desktop users, he writes his 'KDE: It’s time for a fork' here ( http://practical-tech.com/operating-system/kde-its-time-for-... ). SVJN appropriately comments:
Quoting:My real problems with KDE 4.1 is far more fundamental. The developers believe that they have a better way of handling the desktop. For them, I’m sure they do. For users, this user anyway, the new desktop fails at a desktop’s main job: enabling the user to get their work done as easily as possible.

Furthermore, (and to indirectly complete the possible metaphor of cutelery ;). SJVN describes how devs are trying their "faux user-spoon-feeding" tactic on K Desktop Environment's new Dolphin :
Quoting:Take, for example, that in the new Dolphin file manager, the developers claim, and I quote, “Selecting files is made easier by a small + button in the top left corner that selects the file, rather than opens it. This change makes using the file-manager in single-click mode much easier and prevent accidentally opening files, while being intuitive and easy to use.”
"Intuitive to use" ?? Not very.

Vista taking over the Desktop from XP, Mac OS and Linux ?? Unlikely.

jezuch

Jun 30, 2008
12:10 PM EDT
Quoting:"Intuitive to use" ??

Despite my whining about file selection in Dolphin in another thread, I think this "smal +" thingie is neat... if you're using mouse and mouse only :) I think it's clear that that's not an option for me...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!