Already done it.

Story: Dell 'Windows Vista Bonus' is a PC with Windows XP insteadTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
NoDough

Jul 01, 2008
8:10 AM EDT
I've already had occasion to purchase one of these 'Bonus' systems. It's just as described: a Vista license with XP installed. You get two OS CDs, one for XP, one for Vista.

My employer's company uses an application that is incompatible with Vista. It's vital that we have continued access to XP until the vendor gets Vista compliant (which, frankly, they may never do.)
jdixon

Jul 01, 2008
8:35 AM EDT
> It's vital that we have continued access to XP until the vendor gets Vista compliant (which, frankly, they may never do.)

If the application is that critical, I'd say it's time to look into buying a license and creating a virtual machine for that application. 2009 isn't that far away, and as long as you have an image of the virtual machine, you can restore the OS without even needing to activate it. If you use the right virtualization software (VMware, VirtualBox, Qemu), you can even run the virtual machine under Linux.
NoDough

Jul 01, 2008
8:55 AM EDT
That seems like a good idea.

Although, Dell assures me that XP will be available beyond 2010 (seems like they said 2011, but my old, feeble brain may be failing me) and support will continue through 2014.
rijelkentaurus

Jul 01, 2008
3:09 PM EDT
Our Dell rep said Dec. 31, 2010. Which, hypothetically, is like one day before Windows 7 comes out.

*rolls on the ground in a laughing fit*

Sorry....
jacog

Jul 02, 2008
3:24 AM EDT
You's havin' de chookles, but Microsoft is actually selling lots of Vista licenses, even if nobody is actually using the product. It's just a few ice cubes short of a retail miracle, if you ask me.
tuxchick

Jul 02, 2008
6:51 AM EDT
wow jacog, that's the reverse of their old marketing plan, which was to turn a blind eye to mass piracy. So the old way was people used it without paying for it. Now they're paying for it and not using it. Truly innovative.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 02, 2008
8:23 AM EDT
My memory differs. MS Windows (the environment sitting atop DOS, the 3.x series) got raves because it was being loaded (unasked) on all those new PCs going out the door. It gained market share and in many cases was completely unused. Nonetheless, based upon such spurious statistical foundations it was anointed as the leading OS. Now Vista follows the same curve, but this time with an excess of funds flowing to the bestower. We can only wonder what drives of such beneficence instincts.

Reminds me of the philosopher in Candide, the World only gets better even as you lose half your derriere.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!