"In math, two negatives make a positive." ...

Story: Linspire + Xandros = Anything of value?Total Replies: 11
Author Content
NoDough

Jul 01, 2008
10:15 AM EDT
Umm, multiplying two negatives makes a positive. But adding two negatives makes a bigger negative.

Just sayin'.
tuxchick

Jul 01, 2008
10:55 AM EDT
I always wonder why Xandros hasn't done better, because Xandros does out-of-the box integration with Windows networks better than anyone. So maybe Windows integration isn't all that important?
jdixon

Jul 01, 2008
11:18 AM EDT
> I always wonder why Xandros hasn't done better...

Linux has been a business success on the server. The business desktop environment is another matter, and that's what Xandros was aiming for. Windows integration simply isn't as important on the server, and both Red Hat and Novell can offer significantly better support than Xandros.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 01, 2008
12:26 PM EDT
Sorry, have to keep my insight to myself. I just misread his name and I thought how apropos.
tuxchick

Jul 01, 2008
1:37 PM EDT
Haha TxtEdMacs, I think I can figure it out :)
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 01, 2008
3:05 PM EDT
I don't know how much money changed hands, but I can't possibly imagine what Xandros (or anybody) has to gain by acquiring Linspire.
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 01, 2008
4:10 PM EDT
From what I read on Kevin Carmony's blog, the shares were not worth much in the first place. Now? I can only imagine..
helios

Jul 01, 2008
7:38 PM EDT
As soon as Linspire code is fully incorporated into Xandros, Microsoft is going to make a move... made to look like a hostile takeover, of Xandros.

helios

Jul 01, 2008
7:40 PM EDT
I always wonder why Xandros hasn't done better

You have to market your product so people know you exist. I've paid more in traffic fines this year than Xandros has spent in mass media marketing of their desktop.
tuxchick

Jul 01, 2008
7:41 PM EDT
Quoting: As soon as Linspire code is fully incorporated into Xandros, Microsoft is going to make a move... made to look like a hostile takeover, of Xandros.

At their current valuation, Ken, I could buy the lot and have change left over :). Why would Microsoft even want them? Or did you make a joke and it went over my head?

BTW, congratulations on the writeup in the SJ Mercury News!
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 01, 2008
8:08 PM EDT
Check this out..some interesting answers

http://www.osnews.com/story/19946/Q&A:_Xandros_CEO_Andreas_T...
NoDough

Jul 02, 2008
10:50 AM EDT
Quoting:From what I read on Kevin Carmony's blog, the shares were not worth much in the first place. Now? I can only imagine..
The first announcement I saw stated that Xandros had acquired Linspire's assets. Normally that type of acquisition is used when the acquiring party doesn't want to take on the other parties liabilities. If this was done, then the Linspire shareholders will still own Linspire, but all that will remain is a worthless, empty shell. That would fit with Carmony's complaints.

However, the OSNews story you link above makes it sound more like a complete acquisition, warts and all.

Who knows?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!