Slackware help needed

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Jul 31, 2008
6:45 AM EDT
As evidenced by the very long threads about caitlyn's slackware comments, there are a couple of slackware fans around. Can you help me?

I recently released gnome-hearts 0.3 but someone using slackware 12.1 keeps having problems getting it to compile and install. See the comments here: http://www.gnomefiles.org/comment.php?soft_id=1372

The user in question is Andrea. I'm not familiar with slackware at all. Can you try building gnome-hearts 0.3 on your own slackware box to see if it's a general slackware problem or something specific to Andrea? Can you help me debug it please?

Cheers!
jdixon

Jul 31, 2008
6:51 AM EDT
Well, I won't have much free time before the weekend, but I can try to take a look then. Maybe someone else can get to it before I can.
bigg

Jul 31, 2008
7:45 AM EDT
I will depending on when I get GNOME back on my installation. It may be today if I get a chance. (For non-Slackware users, there is something goofy about the relationship between GNOME and Slackware. I don't know what it it is, but this is the one thing about Slackware that I would change if given the opportunity.)
gus3

Jul 31, 2008
8:12 AM EDT
Running SLAMD64 here, and I got something very similar to Andrea's output:

bash-3.1$ python Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Mar 23 2008, 14:50:58) [GCC 4.2.3] on linux2 Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. >>> from distutils import sysconfig >>> print '/'.join(sysconfig.get_config_vars('LIBPL','LDLIBRARY'))+' '+sysconfig.get_config_var('LIBS')+' '+sysconfig.get_config_var('LINKFORSHARED') /usr/lib64/python2.5/config/libpython2.5.so -lpthread -ldl -lutil -Xlinker -export-dynamic >>> bash-3.1$ bash-3.1$ locate libpython2.5.so /usr/lib64/libpython2.5.so.1.0 /usr/lib64/libpython2.5.so bash-3.1$

Definitely something amiss there.
gus3

Jul 31, 2008
8:23 AM EDT
A quick experiment shows that omitting the explicit path from the Makefile gives a successful build:

PYTHON_LIBS = -lpython2.5 -lpthread -ldl -lutil -Xlinker -export-dynamic

Just let the linker find it on its own, I guess. Not sure how well that fares on other platforms, Linux or otherwise.
jdixon

Jul 31, 2008
5:37 PM EDT
OK, in my case, since my gnome install is a very limited garnome installation, I had to modify the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable and add the ~/garnome/lib directory so it would pick up the gnome libraries.

As with gus3, the ./configure picks up a spurious /usr/lib/python2.5/config/libpython2.5.so. The correct location is /usr/lib/libpython2.5.so. However, modifying the Makefile by changing it to either -lpython2.5 or /usr/lib/libpython2.5.so doesn't correct the error in my case. It still gives the following:

gcc -Wall -g -g -O2 -o gnome-hearts hearts.o background.o cards.o cards-image.o cfg.o events.o player-api.o player.o preimage.o ui.o -pthread -Wl,--export-dynamic -L/home/jdixon/garnome/lib -lgnomeui-2 -lSM -lICE -lbonoboui-2 -lgnomevfs-2 -lgnomecanvas-2 -lgnome-2 -lpopt -lbonobo-2 -lbonobo-activation -lart_lgpl_2 -lgconf-2 -lORBit-2 -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglade-2.0 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lxml2 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 /usr/lib/python2.5/config/libpython2.5.so -lpthread -ldl -lutil -Xlinker -export-dynamic

gcc: /usr/lib/python2.5/config/libpython2.5.so: No such file or directory

I have no idea where it's picking up the path. It's nowhere in the Makefile.

This is a full install of Slackware 12.1 running on an Athlon Sempron.

Let me know if there are any tests you'd like me to run.
gus3

Jul 31, 2008
8:10 PM EDT
Check the Makefile in the src/ directory. I bumped into the same gotcha.

Although, technically, shouldn't the automake/autoconf be adjusted instead?
jdixon

Aug 01, 2008
3:03 AM EDT
> Check the Makefile in the src/ directory.

Yep. That's where it was hiding. I don't compile things often enough to always remember that there can be multiple Makefiles. Changing that one gives a complete compile, though it won't run because it can't find the libraries which are in ~/garnome/lib. Strange, as the compile found them, but not worth pursuing, as most people won't be using garnome.

> Although, technically, shouldn't the automake/autoconf be adjusted instead?

Yes, but that's not something I've ever tried to do. I'll let our esteemed programmer track that down. :)
Sander_Marechal

Aug 01, 2008
4:38 PM EDT
Problem found and solved. Thanks guys. Apparently, the Slackware package doesn't make a symlink from /usr/lib(64)/python2.5/config/libpython2.5.so to /usr/lib(64)/libpython2.5.so. A bunch of other distros I tested did have this symlink.

You cannot post until you login.