very excellent

Story: An Introduction to Linux CLITotal Replies: 4
Author Content
tuxchick

Aug 10, 2008
7:13 PM EDT
This is a great introduction to the Linux command line. So good even the poor fool at LinuxWorld who said "don't even make me open a command shell" can understand it.
tuxchick

Aug 11, 2008
9:57 AM EDT
Here's the article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20080806/tc_zd/230622
Quoting: What's holding Linux back? When asked what they would have the Linux community improve, all three OEM representatives named power management. HP's Mann added the lack of good wireless support. John Hull, manager of an engineering team at Dell, wanted shorter boot times. And Mann added, "don't ever make me open a terminal window and access a command prompt."

Corporate Barbie says "Computers are too haaaaard!"
rijelkentaurus

Aug 11, 2008
6:42 PM EDT
Remote troubleshooting of a Windows PC almost always involves asking the user to "go to Start--Run and type in CMD and press enter". You can't work with or on a PC and never touch the command line...how the heck does Windows get a pass on their crappy command line but Linux suffers for having such a great one? Oi!
tracyanne

Aug 11, 2008
9:09 PM EDT
Linux suffers for having such a great command line interface, because the standard response for windows is to open the crappy windows command line, and the great unwashed, and a few who should know better, think it always has to be that crappy. I can remember a time when I did, and the sudden realisation that there is a better way, and I was using it.
rijelkentaurus

Aug 11, 2008
9:49 PM EDT
True...the Linux CLI was an awakening in and of itself, so much better, so much more capable and even a pleasure to use. Given 5 minutes and a little patience, most people can learn to run basic admin/user tasks from the command line and feel very comfortable there.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!