Score one

Story: The VMware bluesTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
rijelkentaurus

Aug 15, 2008
12:09 PM EDT
For Free Software. Many of the issues that take forever to solve revolve around licenses. This downtime never would have happened if an open source, non-license-activated solution had been implemented. VMWare makes wonderful things happen, but "activation" has caused more problems than it's worth in my experience, from the smallest programs to the largest.
number6x

Aug 15, 2008
12:11 PM EDT
downtown or downtime?
techiem2

Aug 15, 2008
3:12 PM EDT
the downtime downtown
rijelkentaurus

Aug 15, 2008
3:23 PM EDT
LOL, I so funny!!
tuxchick

Aug 15, 2008
3:42 PM EDT
Or they could have a grace period and issue a series of polite warnings before pulling the plug. This is just plain stupid.
techiem2

Aug 15, 2008
4:36 PM EDT
Quoting:Or they could have a grace period and issue a series of polite warnings before pulling the plug.

But that would give people time to make an informed decision about whether or not to keep using the product or switch to something else. If you pull the plug...it's either buy it NOW or suffer even more downtime while you get something else setup...
rijelkentaurus

Aug 15, 2008
4:54 PM EDT
The funniest thing is that ESXi is the free (not Free, of course, and not to be confused with SEXi) version of the software that shouldn't have something like that in it at all. "Legacy" code, I suppose.
erikb5

Aug 15, 2008
5:25 PM EDT
VMware does provide a 60-day trial version of it's VMware ESX server and the VMware VirtualCenter (Management). The VMware ESXi virtualization platform (without Enterprise class High-Availability and Management features) is available for free (it just requires a registration).

The bug that was caused this week, was probably due to the accidental non-removal of the ESX/ESXi 3.5.0 Update 2 Beta Release time-bomb. This is not acceptable for any commercial or non-commercial software made by any company.
moopst

Aug 15, 2008
6:23 PM EDT
I wonder if this is why Netflix hasn't sent my movies lately? They said something about 3 days of "issues" and they're giving out a 15% credit which sounds like a huge chunk of cash depending on how widespread it was.

I checked,,, looks like Netflix is mum about what caused the outage.
moopst

Aug 17, 2008
8:25 PM EDT

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!