Now that's a great Idea

Story: Microsoft Seinfeld Strategy to Save Vista is PatheticTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
tracyanne

Aug 23, 2008
2:35 AM EDT
Quoting:A better marketing strategy for Microsoft might be to release a series of ads similar to Apple's pitting Vista against Linux, which it could more easily compete with.

The best free advertising Linux could ever hope for.
zenarcher

Aug 23, 2008
3:16 AM EDT
We need a commercial with one of the more notorious convicted virus writers, encouraging everyone to stay with Microsoft.
gus3

Aug 23, 2008
4:21 AM EDT
@zenarcher:

I wish I could come up with creative ideas like that. That is truly "outside the box" thinking.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 23, 2008
4:40 AM EDT
zenarcher: What a great idea! I got a good hard laugh imagining that commercial. Thank You.
jdixon

Aug 23, 2008
9:24 AM EDT
This thread ties right into Friday's Help Desk:

http://www.ubersoft.net/comic/hd/2008/08/suggesting-alternat...
helios

Aug 23, 2008
11:01 AM EDT
To be honest, Microsoft shows one of their not-so-often flashes of brilliance with this strategy. It isn't the message...it's the messenger. Seinfeld is disarming, he's the "everyman" that everyone can identify with and his two decades of material showing his "everyman-dom" is what MS is counting on. It's going to work. 300 million dollars worth of Jerry Seinfeld pitching Vista will put them on top again. It doesn't matter that once they buy it they hate it...the Eula will slap them down and make their complaints void.

Unfortunately, Linux does not possess the ability to counter this campaign...just a few million bloggers to bemoan the fact.

h
helios

Aug 23, 2008
11:02 AM EDT
Zenarcher...

Thank you.

Watch this space
zenarcher

Aug 23, 2008
11:40 AM EDT
I will watch, helios...and Scott...glad I could give you a morning laugh. It was just the slightly warped humor of an old guy.*LOL*
tuxchick

Aug 23, 2008
12:08 PM EDT
I have a radical idea... put that $300 mil into fixing Vista.

[waits for hysterical laughter to die down]

Sorry, I just had to say it. zenarcher's idea is the most realistic one anyway.
techiem2

Aug 23, 2008
12:42 PM EDT
Yaknow, I was actually thinking about that "Vista vs Linux" suggestion...

IF (not that they ever WOULD) MS did that, you think it might just prod some "big name" Linux vendors/distros (IBM, Canonical, Mandriva, Red Hat......) to maybe actually do some advertising?

Given, I'm still not sure how MS could truthfully (ok, you can stop laughing now) come up with a commercial that presents Vista as better than Linux (well, I guess it DOES crash better..and annoy the user better....)...
tracyanne

Aug 23, 2008
7:08 PM EDT
Quoting:Seinfeld is disarming, he's the "everyman" that everyone can identify with and his two decades of material showing his "everyman-dom" is what MS is counting on. It's going to work.

The bloke isn't even funny, he's a washed up not very good comedian, even at the height of his fame he died at the Australian comedy Festival in Melbourne.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 23, 2008
8:00 PM EDT
I actually started watching his HBO special that he did after his show ended and after about half an hour I asked myself, "When is he going to tell a joke?" I turned the channel seconds later..

He has always come off as a whiner to me. Whiners are not funny.

tracyanne

Aug 24, 2008
3:37 AM EDT
@techiem2 It wouldn't matter what Microsoft did, Linux would come of better anyway, after all even the fact of Microsoft comparing Linux unfavourably to Vista would give Linux a huge amount of exposure. People would want to know more about Linux.
DiBosco

Aug 24, 2008
6:38 AM EDT
I never got Seinfeld at all, but he has been incredibly successful, so he must appeal to a lot of people. With any luck it will just be another $300M thrown down he drain by MS.

The fact that they can spend so much on advertising and backhanders is quite alarming. I was chatting to a .net developer yesterday who was saying that there were some interesting "dinners and days out" paid for by Microsoft when the bank he worked for was deciding what platform to use for their websites. Suggests to me they [Microsoft] charge too much for their products. ;-)

tracyanne

Aug 24, 2008
8:35 AM EDT
It was the other people who made the show.
hkwint

Aug 24, 2008
9:51 AM EDT
Quoting:The bloke isn't even funny, he's a washed up not very good comedian, even at the height of his fame he died at the Australian comedy Festival in Melbourne.

Quoting:He has always come off as a whiner to me. Whiners are not funny.

Looks like this bloke is the perfect impersonation of Microsoft.
gus3

Aug 24, 2008
12:31 PM EDT
LOL!
rijelkentaurus

Aug 24, 2008
4:11 PM EDT
Quoting: It was the other people who made the show.

@hkwint, this is also part of the impersonation, I suppose. They're called "The Borg" for a reason. :)
Bob_Robertson

Aug 25, 2008
9:56 AM EDT
Hi. I made $120K infecting Windows machines with my spam relay software. There are still thousands of Windows machines out there for me to hack into as soon as my parole is over and I can get near a computer again.

Part of my plea-bargain was that I had to do community service. I intend to send community-service spam to satisfy this requirement, so I urge you, please, use Windows.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!