FUD: it was very timely

Story: Red Hat fesses up to Fedora FOSS security fiascoTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
gus3

Aug 24, 2008
12:29 PM EDT
The lede alone got my FUDar going. Sure enough, the article is just a bunch of it.

I think Fedora could have gotten the word out, with a full and correct analysis of the situation, and Mr. Davey Winder still would complain that it wasn't fast enough.

Granted, I'm not familiar with Winder's writings, but in a world where vulnerabilities in other OS's can go without acknowledgment, let alone repair, for months or years, he certainly has bigger fish to fry.
hkwint

Aug 24, 2008
12:54 PM EDT
Quoting:'he certainly has bigger fish to fry.'

Maybe his wallet doesn't? In a 'slow' news week, one has to write something.

tuxchick

Aug 24, 2008
1:01 PM EDT
I don't care for the slant of the article either, or the lack of information. He should have talked to some Fedora or Red Hat people. Davey Winder usually writes pretty good articles; this one is uncharacteristically whiny. What more could have been done? I thought Fedora did all the right things- they made an announcement as soon as they discovered the problem, and then disabled all downloads until they had time to investigate. Red Hat and CentOS have also issued public announcements.

Quoting: The question now being asked is does Red Hat have what it takes to be able to deal with security breach disclosure in an accurate and prompt manner? In a manner that you might expect from a group upholding the FOSS promise?

Sigh. Call me wacky, but I'd say that their track record (many years with no problems) and their quick, open response indicate that's a seriously stupid question.
hkwint

Aug 24, 2008
4:03 PM EDT
Quoting:I thought Fedora did all the right things- they made an announcement as soon as they discovered the problem

That's where Mr. Winder probably disagrees, he says it took a week before Fedora admitted a security breach.
tuxchick

Aug 24, 2008
5:00 PM EDT
This was the first announcement: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-Augus... Fri, 15 Aug 2008 "We're still assessing the end-user impact of the situation, but as a precaution, we recommend you not download or update any additional packages on your Fedora systems."

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-Augus... Fri, 15 Aug 2008 "Uh oh. This sounds very much like there's been a security breach on infrastructure systems, which may have compromised packages or even repositories.

I've disabled automatic installation of updates for the moment"

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-Au... Fri, 22 Aug 2008 "Last week we discovered that some Fedora servers were illegally accessed. The intrusion into the servers was quickly discovered, and the servers were taken offline....While there is no definitive evidence that the Fedora key has been compromised, because Fedora packages are distributed via multiple third-party mirrors and repositories, we have decided to convert to new Fedora signing keys."

Am I the only one who actually reads these things? They were picked up almost instantly by every news service there is. No, they didn't instantly say there was a breach, because they didn't know. Immediate disclosure, prudent stopgaps, and a thorough investigation. It takes talent to spin that as something bad.

techiem2

Aug 24, 2008
7:05 PM EDT
That's probably about 1000x the amount of disclosure you'd get from MS, etc. You MIGHT see an update that if you actually look at its description says something like "this fixes an issue that could allow your updates to be compromised by a third party". Of course, they'd never announce it in public, and if it was brought up in public, they'd just downplay the significance.

jdixon

Aug 24, 2008
10:23 PM EDT
> It takes talent to spin that as something bad.

Agreed. It sounds to me like Red Hat did everything correctly. A notification of a possible problem with an appropriate warning as soon as they knew, and complete follow up information when it was available. What more could you ask? That a breach never happen? That they catch it before it happens? Get real. Security breaches happen. It's how you deal with them that matters.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!