On the ever present topic of open standards...

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
techiem2

Aug 25, 2008
4:20 PM EDT
So my sis was introduced to itunes (the program, she hasn't messed with the service I don't think), and liked it. So when we redid her laptop (as with many, she finally got tired of Vista and had me "upgrade" it to XP (yeah...wish I could get her linuxed...) she of course installed itunes. Then we realized a bunch of her music doesn't show up. Guess why? Because we'd ripped all her CDs as oggs. And of course iTunes/WMP/etc. can't be bothered to support it. I really don't get it... They spend millions developing these programs and licensing/adding support for about every proprietary format on the planet (I assume iTunes supports wma), but they just can't be bothered to add support for an open standard.... Maybe they feel threatened?
bigg

Aug 25, 2008
4:35 PM EDT
> Maybe they feel threatened?

I would if I were them. To play OGG in iTunes, check out this:

http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/about.html
techiem2

Aug 25, 2008
5:53 PM EDT
Cool. Thanks.

Now sis has her oggs in Itunes (I do get kind of a sadistic pleasure from that....)
gus3

Aug 26, 2008
12:39 AM EDT
She has all her Oggs in one program.

*rimshot*

Thanks, I'll be here all week.
jacog

Oct 21, 2008
4:04 AM EDT
Yaknow, these spammers.... sometimes they confuse me. For a moment there I thought gus3's name was actually Cindy.
rijelkentaurus

Oct 21, 2008
7:41 AM EDT
Quoting: She has all her Oggs in one program.

*rimshot*

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

I see Cindy has a great sense of humor. :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!