Seeing my Windows drives in Mandrivaa 2008

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
poscomp

Aug 25, 2008
9:20 PM EDT
I know I'm attached to the network because I installed 2 printers from the network and they work. I can't get the drives attached so I can copy files and software to my Linux maachine. Can anyone help me?
dinotrac

Aug 25, 2008
9:34 PM EDT
Are you using the cifs kernel module?

If you are, it should be a simple matter of doing something sort of like this:

mount windowssharename -u username/passwd mount point

though you'll want to do a man mount or google on Linux cifs to get it right.
jdixon

Aug 25, 2008
9:53 PM EDT
Are these IP based printers or Windows network printers? If they're IP, then your Windows networking might still be messed up. You can print to an IP address without ever once touching the Windows networking. So, is samba configured for your network?

> mount windowssharename -u username/passwd mount point

I thought the syntax was -o username=uvw password=xyz? Hmm, man mount.cifs seems to indicate that the -o option is still correct?

You might also have to add a -t smbfs or a -t cifs in there.
DiBosco

Aug 26, 2008
8:05 AM EDT
In 2008.x you can use mount -t smbfs or smbmount

smbmount //remotemachinename/directoryname /localdirtectorypath_and_name

You can do the above as user. I am pretty sure that you would do the following as root:

mount -t smbfs //remotemachinename/directoryname /localdirtectorypath_and_name -o username=youusername,passwd=yourpassword

I think I am right in saying that 2009 no longer supports smbmount (which displeases me) and you will have to use -t cifs

dinotrac

Aug 26, 2008
9:05 AM EDT
DiBosco and jdixon -

Smbfs has been around for years and is very familiar, but you really shouldn't use it anymore - with one exception, I believe. The kernel module cifs is better, more performant, more robust.

The exception I'm aware of, and this may not be an exception any more, is if you need kerberos authentication.
DiBosco

Aug 26, 2008
9:14 AM EDT
Thanks, dino.

Do you know of a way to mount shares without having to be root now smbmount is obsolete? (Yes, I know I could put them in fstab, but that means storing passwords in it. With smbmount the user can enter her password at run time.)
gus3

Aug 26, 2008
11:49 AM EDT
Quoting:With smbmount the user can enter her password at run time.
Same with mount.cifs. Its man page is rich in detail:

http://linux.die.net/man/8/mount.cifs
jdixon

Aug 26, 2008
12:47 PM EDT
> Smbfs has been around for years and is very familiar, but you really shouldn't use it anymore...

Sigh, they keep changing things on me. You'd think they'd just make -t smbfs call -t cifs, since apparently it will accept the old option formats. :(

> 2009 no longer supports smbmount (which displeases me) ...

Yeah. Personally I always had more luck with smbmount than with mount -t smbfs. I have no idea why.

I'll have to test things out at home and see how cifs works.
dinotrac

Aug 26, 2008
1:00 PM EDT
>I'll have to test things out at home and see how cifs works.

I've been really pleased with it. It's helping me out with a major jam involving all of the voodoo done under the hood of EMC Celerras.

Yahoo Samba guys.
DiBosco

Aug 26, 2008
1:35 PM EDT
@Gus

Cheers, will give mount.cifs a go.
jdixon

Oct 21, 2008
6:40 AM EDT
Spammers. Die, die, die!

Added: I see the editors are being vigilant as usual. :)
tuxchick

Oct 21, 2008
9:40 AM EDT
I thought Mandriva had a pointy-clicky way to do all this.
jdixon

Oct 21, 2008
2:19 PM EDT
> I thought Mandriva had a pointy-clicky way to do all this.

If Mandriva offered a point and click way to kill spammers, it'd take over the world in no time. :)

Oh, you mean to mount drives. :( Probably. The Mandriva tools are pretty comprehensive.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 21, 2008
3:59 PM EDT
yeah, I ripped out the spam.
tracyanne

Oct 21, 2008
6:55 PM EDT
Quoting:I thought Mandriva had a pointy-clicky way to do all this

Well I always manage to do it with the pointy clicky thingo

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!