Thank you Carla

Story: Dumb and Dumber Proprietary Innovation Strikes AgainTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
tracyanne

Aug 28, 2008
4:39 AM EDT
Quoting:Using ActiveX is like rubbing yourself with bacon and flinging yourself into a hyena pack.

jdixon

Aug 28, 2008
11:09 AM EDT
> Fool me thousands of times over many years...let's get married!"

Sorry TC, I'm already taken. :)

Great line though. It made me laugh.
techiem2

Aug 28, 2008
12:27 PM EDT
I love the bacon quote too. That has to be the best description of ActiveX I've seen yet. :)
tuxchick

Aug 28, 2008
12:57 PM EDT
awww, thanks. It's nice when your pet phrases are appreciated :)
NoDough

Aug 28, 2008
3:36 PM EDT
Mmmmm... bacon!
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 28, 2008
3:41 PM EDT
I have ONE thing I do that requires the use of IE. One thing. It's a big one thing.

I saw a colleague do this one thing with the Opera browser. Since Opera's not FOSS, I had never even tried it, but the chance to eliminate IE from my diet was and is too good to pass up.

So I'm IE- (and ActiveX-) free now, and yes, I feel much better.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 28, 2008
7:16 PM EDT
What's the "one thing"?
tracyanne

Aug 28, 2008
9:08 PM EDT
yeah, my curiosity is piqued.
dinotrac

Aug 28, 2008
9:41 PM EDT
>my curiosity is piqued.

I hear a couple of aspirin and 8 solid hours of sleep will fix that right up.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 29, 2008
2:02 PM EDT
My "one thing" is a company-specific, Web-based content management system that the programmers decided to make IE-only.

About 50 percent of the app works with Firefox. I can get 95 percent of the way with Opera for some reason. I get a few CSS errors every once in awhile, but for the most part I can do my work a whole lot faster while not waiting for IE to do its thing ...

And I can do that work on computers that don't run Windows, meaning I can work from home, where neither the buffalo nor Windows currently roam
herzeleid

Aug 29, 2008
6:39 PM EDT
> My "one thing" is a company-specific, Web-based content management system that the programmers decided to make IE-only.

Yes, we have a "one thing" like that in my workplace, a hold over from the bad old days. It's a timecard/attendance app and the javascript works only with msie 5.5 or 6. Luckily I only have to use it twice a month.

On the upside, the management is taking a much more enlightened approach these days, and when they request bids for such applications, they write it into the contract that it must be verified to to be 100% functional with no OS or browser-specific dependencies, or the vendor doesn't get paid.

I'm happy to report some early results from that - a similar app, which is a daily time tracker app, works on firefox, seamonkey, safari, msie, and it doesn't matter whether I'm using mac, linux or pc.

Good times.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!