I had the unexpected pleasure

Story: How To Get The Younger Generation Into LinuxTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
tracyanne

Aug 31, 2008
8:17 PM EDT
of discovering a young(er) Linux users. I was picking up my usual collection of Linux magazines from our local newsagent, when the young lady behind the counter said to me "so you're the person who buys all the Linux magazines", I said I was, she told me she had told her dad, who has been using Linux for 15 years. She uses Linux too she said, and she hates Ubuntu. She told me they used to use Yoper, but now they use Sabayon, and she loves it. She said she's starting Uni next year and because so much of the required software runs only on Windows will be getting her dad to set up a dual boot machine for her.

Her dad, by the way doesn't even work in any IT related job, and never has, he's a truck driver.
helios

Sep 01, 2008
1:05 AM EDT
he's a truck driver....

Yet the jokes just keep on coming.

Q: Why did the trucker pass on the corn on the cob at dinner?

A: His wife was still using the teeth...

h
tracyanne

Sep 01, 2008
1:36 AM EDT
huh?

Ken ping me.
jacog

Sep 01, 2008
4:32 AM EDT
Hey, don't underestimate truck drivers - that's what James Cameron did for a living before he got into the movie business. I also got a ride once from Louisiana to North Carolina with a truck driver who was a biochemist. Says he got bored with being in one spot all the time.

tracyanne

Sep 01, 2008
8:26 PM EDT
This is a bit off topic. I've been playing around with a new MacBook, it makes a great Linux computer.

I've been trying out various Linux Live Cd distros on it, Mandriva 2008.1 (of course), Ubuntu 8.04, Linux Mint 4.0, Mandriva 2009.0, Sabayon.

I'm really impressed with the MacBook from a hardware perspective, I couldn't give a rats about the OS that comes with it, the only fly in the ointment is that it uses the broadcomm wireless card (they use the cheapest wireless card and still manage to charge the earth for their hardware)
techiem2

Sep 02, 2008
5:48 PM EDT
LOL. Yeah, they way overcharge. When I was shopping for my laptop I actually looked at them. I would have had to spend about twice as much to get the same features/performance from an Apple as I get from my ZaReason.

And my neighbor's a truck driver too (though I haven't managed to get them on linux...).
tracyanne

Sep 02, 2008
6:43 PM EDT
I mentioned the fact that the blokes a truckie because you don't have to be a techie to appreciate Linux, the bloke's been using Linux longer than I have, twice as long.

One thing I noticed is that when you start using the various Linux distros on a high(er) end graphics card is how dowdy Ubuntu (it's standard deskrtop) appears to be in comparison to the other Linux distros. It looks really plain and boring, and the GNOME desktop doesn't help either, it looks cheap and unfinished.
tuxchick

Sep 02, 2008
7:16 PM EDT
TA, some of the most popular stories on Brand X are the ones about themes, Compiz/Beryl, and icon sets for Linux, so appearance is definitely important.
tracyanne

Sep 02, 2008
8:59 PM EDT
I just found out why the various hardware manufacturers only sell Microsoft products in Australia. There are no laws in Australia that require them to offer competing operating systems. Australian law in this respect is toothless.
lcafiero

Sep 02, 2008
11:48 PM EDT
Truth be told, helios drives a truck when he's not promoting FOSS to the universe.

Last time I checked -- and, believe me, I didn't look too closely -- he had all his teeth.
herzeleid

Sep 02, 2008
11:57 PM EDT
I used to drive a tundra - does that count?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!