Not impressed

Story: Lancelot reaches Holy Grail of KDE menuTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
tracyanne

Sep 13, 2008
9:09 PM EDT
I loaded the Lancelot menu on my copy of Mandriva 2009.0 RC1, it's still not as nice as the "old" menu system.
devnet

Sep 14, 2008
8:29 PM EDT
I couldn't get 2009 or 2008 to work correctly due to a 2 year old bug that Mandriva still hasn't fixed with kmilo
jacog

Sep 15, 2008
8:20 AM EDT
Hmmm, just looking at the screenshots - in a word, "no".

A lot of these attempts at improving the start menu are just recycling the same failed concept. While it does look nice, it does not make your application launching quicker or easier.

My wife's preference is a standard old-style menu with a search box attached. Myself, I think that a revamp is necessary, but these attempts are not heading in the right direction.

Now, for my post to be valuable, I need to also supply a thought or two on what I think the right direction is. I have none.
gus3

Sep 15, 2008
12:56 PM EDT
Could it finally be the end of the "style over substance" culture?
jezuch

Sep 15, 2008
3:23 PM EDT
Actually, I find that I don't really use the menu. Klauncher (ALT+F2) is all I need! And KDE guys seem to agree with me, because klauncher got a *lot* of polish in KDE4...
hkwint

Sep 15, 2008
4:50 PM EDT
Probably you can make keyboard shortcuts to startup programs too, I guess (don't use KDE). It's what I use most, and if I want to use some program that I don't use regularly I type the name in the launcher (a pop up 'Run' box in which you type in the name of the executable).

In that way, I don't need a start menu at all; though right clicking gives me one. I never use that however, and there are only 4 icons on my desktop; and no single bar. All works well. It may not be the right direction however; but at least it is a possible direction. At least I can launch Firefox, Euroglot and Eterm in three seconds (just tested that); probably faster than any start menu. Long names to type in in the Run box can be linked to shorter ones somewhere in $PATH. That means the only value a start-bar/menu would add for me would be a list of 'useful' executables; for the rest I wonder why the world needs a start menu at all. But I accept other people find it useful; and it comes in handy when reviewing 'foreign' (that means foreign to me) distro's.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!