Nice but...

Story: Recover Linux Files In Few Clicks With Stellar Phoenix Linux RecoveryTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
techiem2

Sep 24, 2008
12:30 AM EDT
Why do they insist on making these recovery programs Windows based?
theboomboomcars

Sep 24, 2008
1:18 PM EDT
That can't make in linux based because linux has data recovery stuff already in the package. Why I would want to use this over a live cd I don't know, I guess I felt I had a lot of money to waste on proprietary software would be one, but that doesn't seem like it will happen.
techiem2

Sep 24, 2008
1:24 PM EDT
Right. As I recall, many of the commercially available data recovery programs used to use self booting media. Now they just make them windows apps.....which means if it's your one and only windows machine that has fried, you need to find another windows machine to install the software on to recover your data... It's just...illogical...
bigg

Sep 24, 2008
1:31 PM EDT
I too can't understand how this is better than, say, Puppy. Puppy boots quickly, it requires just a few clicks, and yes it provides a GUI. It couldn't be simpler. It's definitely easier than using this Windows-based "thing".
tracyanne

Sep 24, 2008
4:57 PM EDT
Given the breadth and quality of data recovery software for Linux, and indeed Windows, that runs on Linux, and which runs from a Live CD of Linux, even if one didn't have a second PC running Linux, which is more likely than having a second PC running Windows, this windows based recovery software seems rather pointless, just someone trying to profit from ignorance, I suppose.
gus3

Sep 24, 2008
11:54 PM EDT
"Never give a sucker an even break."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!