Given that the ISO seems utterly corrupt

Story: ISO offers to take on ODF maintenanceTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
tracyanne

Oct 08, 2008
5:25 PM EDT
I'm not at all sure this would be a good idea.
herzeleid

Oct 08, 2008
5:39 PM EDT
> I'm not at all sure this would be a good idea.

+1

edit: actually, I'm quite sure it wouldn't be a good idea. I can't imagine any good from having this corrupt, incompetent and increasingly irrelevant organization preside over a platform neutral standard, when they have demonstrated that they are all too happy to act as microsoft's sock puppet.
tracyanne

Oct 08, 2008
6:58 PM EDT
if you go to http://www.definethis.org/temp/ooxml/ and read the scope page. It states that OOXML is designed to faithfull recreate MS Word documents from MSO 97 to MSO 2008 (that's 2008 a version that has not been released).

I May be reading more into it than intended.
jsusanka

Oct 08, 2008
8:43 PM EDT
guess since odf is starting to become the worldwide defacto standard microsoft can't stand it so now it has to take control of odf.

kinda saw this one coming - nothing surprises me when it comes to microsoft corruption. it is either our way or we just buy you and control what you are doing. except now the corrupt iso is doing their dirty work.
tuxchick

Oct 08, 2008
9:31 PM EDT
In other news, the fox was hired to guard the hen house.
moopst

Oct 09, 2008
1:50 AM EDT
I have a better idea. How about OASIS takes over the role of defining document and computer interface standards given that ISO has demonstrated that they're not quite up to the job.

Actually, they will if ISO keeps it up. People and organizations will gravitate toward better standards. Here better = more usable and actually implemented. Remember, M$ has not promised to implement ISO 29500 and no one else can.

Another point about the article, it said that 29500 was leaked. How do you leak something when the ISO rules require it to have been published already?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!