Translation

Story: Windows 7: Microsoft's Linux killer?Total Replies: 10
Author Content
bigg

Nov 02, 2008
4:45 PM EDT
Quoting: Windows and Windows Live senior vice president Steve Sinofsky claimed that Windows 7 used less than half of the 1 GB of RAM on his Lenovo S10 netbook.

If you want to run the real version, you will need 4 GB minimum. This is a stripped-down version that they put together for 'benchmarking' purposes. My wife bought a 'Vista' laptop with 512 MB of RAM.

Even if that is in the same township as a truthful statement, how does that make it a "Linux killer"? Closing the gap between Windows and the alternatives can only serve to slow the avalanche of Windows users jumping ship.

And just to put these claims in perspective, recall that a Microsoft executive said Vista is so secure that he would not hesitate to run it without antivirus or anti-malware protection.

Fool me once... By the 1000th time, even the dumbest among us catch on.
vainrveenr

Nov 02, 2008
6:03 PM EDT
Yep. And anyone who seriously doubts Microsoft's true bottom-line should re-review the concluding few lines of the company's own take on Sinofsky from http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/ssinofsky/ :
Quoting:In 1998, Sinofsky held the appointment of visiting scholar at Harvard Business School. He spent the fall of 2004 living in Beijing, China, working on projects in sales, marketing, and research and development.
Note that first and foremost, all the R & D always has been and must ultimately continue to be predominantly targeted towards Sales.

tracyanne

Nov 02, 2008
6:08 PM EDT
I'll just wait and see. If it does turn out to be the usual hyperbole then well and good, if not then I will have to worry.
d0nk3y

Nov 02, 2008
6:36 PM EDT
Since when is ~480Mb of RAM (consumed by just the OS) "lightweight".

Sheesh.
tuxchick

Nov 02, 2008
7:15 PM EDT
Quoting: Since when is ~480Mb of RAM (consumed by just the OS) "lightweight".

LOL! Good point. "Jabba Lite"
garymax

Nov 02, 2008
8:11 PM EDT
Microsoft still can't offer its product for free like Linux. No matter how good it is it still can't compare to the TCO of Linux.
tracyanne

Nov 02, 2008
8:37 PM EDT
Quoting:Since when is ~480Mb of RAM (consumed by just the OS) "lightweight".

Good point, I can run Mandriva Linux with a 3 D desktop (albeit some what slowly) on 512 Meg of RAM on a laptop with Intel video card sharing the RAM, and still use Open Office.org.
mush_for_brains

Nov 02, 2008
9:11 PM EDT
Big deal. I used Deluxe Paint on AmigaOS 1.2 with only 512K of RAM, and could still run a mod player in the background. (Provided the module didn't use too many samples, of course...)

But in all semi-seriousness, the title of this article seems a tad askew. Windows 7 will be a desktop OS, and when in comes to the desktop world, Windows is already "killing" Linux. (And MacOS too.)

Of course, this only remains true if market share is used as the sole metric.
tuxchick

Nov 02, 2008
9:39 PM EDT
The Borg do pay an inordinate amount of attention to the pipsqueak Linux. It's an obsession. Maybe Linux should take out a restraining order under the stalker laws. "Judge, Windows just won't leave me alone. I'm sitting here minding my own business and he's calling my phone day and night, and banging on my door, and running all over town telling the neighbors what an awful person I am. He even made a MySpace page with fake photos showing me posing with Karl Marx, Hitler, Rasputin, and Pauly Shore. I think I better get a gag order, too, this is getting way out of hand."
machiner

Nov 03, 2008
10:31 AM EDT
It's all the attention paid that people forget, or overlook. A pal was over for Halloween with his family the other day - he's a Windows guy, and is a solution provider. Every time we meet he tries to one-up (me) Linux with some news of something terrific Microsoft is doing (attempting, stealing or bribing away from someone else...). lol, You can see in articles by those blogging about Windows where he gets his talking points and it's truly a treat to hear him try to sell me on Microsoft's new openness, interoperability and all that. He tries to steal my smile, my ease and productivity with Linux every time we meet and he fails every time, quietly as a kid grounded might sulk, for my simple and non-fud rebuttals.

I look forward to schooling him on these occassions as well as hearing what the latest is from the guys clawing their way back out of their hole.

Windows 7 will be no Linux killer. What's to kill? Naw, it'll copy more and more, spread talk about being open, highlight cases in which Windows actually does play nice (because of some clever oss dev, no doubt), and all the while still trying to do dumb things in their dumb way and making excuses for it. It must really be wearing on those fellows by now. How long can neuroses go unchecked before it cracks?

I'd really like something simple and stable (Debian) to command home desktops because then maybe we can move beyond the same tired security and pebcak issues and really evolve home computing. It kills me to see us spending so much time on what should almost be non-issues. When can we evolve, Windows? Linux is - what's taking you so long?
herzeleid

Nov 03, 2008
1:42 PM EDT
windows 7 will be a linux killer to the same degree that windows nt was "a better unix than unix". yeah. that much.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!