Let the hype begin...

Story: The Perfect Server - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (Ubuntu 8.10)Total Replies: 10
Author Content
garymax

Nov 02, 2008
8:05 PM EDT
Quoting:The Perfect Server - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (Ubuntu 8.10)

I thought they said this about Ubunutu 8.04? And they'll say it about 9.04. It's all cyclical.

Funny that.
tracyanne

Nov 02, 2008
8:38 PM EDT
Don't panic gary, there will be a "the Perfect Server/Desktop" for Mandriva, and other distros shortly.
jdixon

Nov 02, 2008
10:36 PM EDT
> ...there will be a "the Perfect Server/Desktop" for Mandriva, and other distros shortly.

Yeah. The howtoforge folks write them for pretty much every major distro. I think they even covered Slackware once.
garymax

Nov 02, 2008
11:38 PM EDT
tracyanne...

I know, I know, but it is so obvious that these types of articles have lost their impact because they are so predictable.

Which means that their intrinsic worth has been diminished greatly in my opinion...
tracyanne

Nov 03, 2008
1:44 AM EDT
Quoting:Which means that their intrinsic worth has been diminished greatly in my opinion...

That was my point Gary.
garymax

Nov 03, 2008
2:37 AM EDT
tracyanne

I know...but it felt good to state the obvious once again...
steever

Nov 03, 2008
7:57 AM EDT
I think you're taking this the wrong way ... falko's explaining how to set up the "perfect server" on Ubuntu 8.10 - he's not saying that Ubuntu IS the perfect server. By perfect server he means a server that does everything that he thinks is important.

He shows how to set this perfect server up on all the main distros and updates his info every time there's a major release.

In my opinion, it makes more sense to stick with an LTS Ubuntu for a server, but each to her/his own.
garymax

Nov 03, 2008
12:25 PM EDT
steever

Either way, articles with the same focus time and time again begin to lose their impact as they appear to cover the same ground. And with all of the Ubuntu hype, one has reason to be suspect...
gus3

Nov 03, 2008
12:26 PM EDT
So it comes down to how to interpret a hyphen? At least it wasn't a colon.

I suppose the next question will be should it be an el-dash, an en-dash, or an em-dash.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 03, 2008
7:23 PM EDT
It's a break in the chain of though. It's not connecting two related words. So, em-dash.
steever

Nov 03, 2008
9:58 PM EDT
I think his intent is quite clear:

"This tutorial shows how to set up an Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (Ubuntu 8.10) server that offers all services needed by ISPs and hosters: Apache web server (SSL-capable), Postfix mail server with SMTP-AUTH and TLS, BIND DNS server, Proftpd FTP server, MySQL server, Courier POP3/IMAP, Quota, Firewall, etc."

I don't think there's supposed to be any "impact" - he's just offering a howto and updating it for a recent release.

Now THIS article is hype: "Ubuntu 8.10 - All Hail new Network Manager". Just so you know the difference between hype and howto.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!