But knowing MS...

Story: Microsoft Office for Linux: Well, IndirectlyTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
techiem2

Nov 11, 2008
3:25 PM EDT
...they will probably implement it in ActiveX or Silverlight.
softwarejanitor

Nov 11, 2008
3:42 PM EDT
Probably... at very least I would say it is likely that the 'web' version of MS-Office is likely to work fully and properly only in MSIE. What I would guess is that they will be unlikely to do the work to make sure their code is cross platform compatible and that they will rely on MS specific Javascript or CSS implementation details that will make things either not work at all or at least look funny in other browsers like FireFox.
techiem2

Nov 11, 2008
3:58 PM EDT
On a similar but rather amusing note: MS has released a Windows Mozilla plugin for WGA to let you download windows patches. I don't think full Windows Updates works, but you can now download the "Genuine Advantage Only" downloads with Firefox.

Steven_Rosenber

Nov 11, 2008
3:58 PM EDT
You know, it never occurred to me, but I can't believe they would make it work in any browser but IE. That leaves out anybody not in Windows, since there's no IE even for Mac at this point.
herzeleid

Nov 11, 2008
4:46 PM EDT
> You know, it never occurred to me, but I can't believe they would make it work in any browser but IE.

LOL, of course they will make it windows only! Were you actually thinking they would offer something that's not just another ms windows lock-in?
tracyanne

Nov 11, 2008
4:48 PM EDT
Lets put it this way, I'd fall off my perch in shock if it did work on anything other than Windows and IE.
tracyanne

Nov 11, 2008
5:17 PM EDT
Additionally, I wouldn't use MS Office anyway. So it's no big deal to me if Microsoft don't make it Linux compatible, and believe it or not, but pointing out that Microsoft do this sort of thing can actually help sell a Linux Computer.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!