And there it is again

Story: Microsoft denies paying contractor to abandon LinuxTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
techiem2

Nov 11, 2008
6:26 PM EDT
Quoting:Hansen emphasized that studies have shown that the Windows platform often costs the same as or less than Linux when the total cost of ownership is considered.

"Further, when the full range of user benefits are taken into account, such as the wide range of applications available, familiarity, and ease-of-use, Windows is often a much better overall value," he said.

The TCO and the "Everyone uses it and it's easier" arguments.
tuxchick

Nov 11, 2008
6:43 PM EDT
Frist giggle!

Oh drat, techiem2 got here first.

Yes, it was a purely logical decision based on a sober, impartial assessment of needs and costs. Yep. Really, it was. Honest! No, really!
rht

Nov 11, 2008
7:18 PM EDT
Microsoft has now managed to embrace and extend the Nigerian Scam. What comes next?
tracyanne

Nov 11, 2008
7:43 PM EDT
Let me paraphase that

Further, when the full range of user benefits are taken into account, such as the wide range of applications available, and ease-of-use, the high degree of security, the freedom from Viruses, freedom from DRM, Linux is always much better overall value
techiem2

Nov 11, 2008
7:54 PM EDT
lol Well said TA.
tracyanne

Nov 11, 2008
9:33 PM EDT
Interestingly Microsoft are apparently attempting lower expectations of Windows 7. They are saying that it will be what Windows Vista should have been.

So expect a boated OS where Digital Restriction Management works.
techiem2

Nov 11, 2008
9:42 PM EDT
Yeah, originally they seemed to be indicating it was going to be this fresh new light modular OS.

Anymore it's sounding more like Vista SP2.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 11, 2008
10:17 PM EDT
Quoting: Anymore it's sounding more like Vista SP2.

Let's hope so, Vistar did wonders for Linux, Mac and BSD! :0)

Seriously, I am advising my PHBs that they need to find an alternative to MS to have ready, just in case our customers start blowing gaskets from having two identically and woefully bloated OSes thrown at them. How long can we continue to recommend Windows and not look like we've drank our fill of the Kool Aid?

jdixon

Nov 11, 2008
10:18 PM EDT
> Anymore it's sounding more like Vista SP2.

Did you ever really expect anything else? The only way Microsoft will ever make a better OS is to do what Apple did and base it on one of the BSD's.
tuxchick

Nov 11, 2008
10:32 PM EDT
What a terrible thing to do a poor innocent BSD. Please, don't let any of them fall into the hands of Microsoft, the poor thing will be mangled beyond recognition.
gus3

Nov 11, 2008
11:32 PM EDT
...or return to their roots and base it on OpenVMS. I'm sure H-P would love that.
jdixon

Nov 11, 2008
11:51 PM EDT
> Please, don't let any of them fall into the hands of Microsoft,

Too late. Microsoft took their tcp/ip stack hook, line, and sinker from BSD. And, as you expected, mangled it beyond recognition.
gus3

Nov 12, 2008
12:11 AM EDT
Quoting:What a terrible thing to do a poor innocent BSD. Please, don't let any of them fall into the hands of Microsoft, the poor thing will be mangled beyond recognition.
But if Microsoft swipes FreeBSD, at least they'll finally have the appropriate logo!
Sander_Marechal

Nov 12, 2008
3:24 AM EDT
Quoting:Microsoft took their tcp/ip stack hook, line, and sinker from BSD. And, as you expected, mangled it beyond recognition.

They did, so networking worked reasonably well in XP. Then came Vista and the "not invented here" syndrome and they decided to rewrite it all from scratch in .Net. Result: Heaps on networking troubles with Vista.
TxtEdMacs

Nov 12, 2008
10:13 AM EDT
Years ago I was told by a real tech. guy* (with MS) that they (MS) thought NT was Unix done right.

Another issue, I had heard long before XP, was that MS used tcp/ip from one of the BSDs and tweaked it to be incompatible. I assume, this was partially motivated by hubris, thinking they knew how to do it better.

Personally, I think MS made a flawed marketing decision to combine the more professional, enterprise version (whatever that means) with the crap user version meant for those that were blissfully ignorant or disinterested in issues like privacy and security, which could include business types.

I remember my first encounter with NT 4 and being favorably impressed. I even stopped shutting down the machine, until I encountered a sudden instability in my database queries that had no code changes (ran off stored procedures I wrote) only to learn one had to reboot once a week for safety. I forgot the acronym used**, however, my favorable impression was markedly lessened***. Finally, though I did not use it that much and it lacked drivers for a significant portion of the hardware available when released, NT 5 was a decent OS for its time.

Microsoft's major mistake, in my opinion, was trying to be all things to everyone with a supposed single product line. I believe, though it may have simplified marketing issues internally it has been a constant irritant internally and externally.

Warning this is not one of my usual skewed posts where fiction trumps fact. While the story line might seem humorous, all the statements are factual and those that are opinion are so labeled. Therefore, despite how funny some may appear, that's what I heard.

* A person I respected, known from previous assignments not involving MS.

** A prophylactic meme to encourage protective measures.

*** I was still a Windows person, and predated my move to mostly Unix on this same assignment. I should note, that most others with far more experience and skills did their Unix work, wrote their code on the Windows side and copied it over. I and one other in the group preferred Unix tools [bigger story, no time].

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!