Flamebait

Story: The extremely vocal desktop Linux tinorityTotal Replies: 48
Author Content
mortenalver

Nov 18, 2008
4:47 AM EDT
More flamebait from ItWire. He expects the "Linux zealots" to start calling him names - no wonder, since he starts out doing the same himself.

Of course, the article has a few relevant points, but none of them are original or even very well stated.
tracyanne

Nov 18, 2008
6:14 AM EDT
I was going to reply to this, but it's hard to keep repeating myself, and stay polite. It's a bit like when I used to debate with religionists, every time you shoot down one patently ridiculous assertion, someone else comes along and repeats the same lame assertion. But that is what the Microsofties are like, they have to have faith, without it they would not be able to carry on believing in the glitz and glamour that papers over the insecure unstable operating system underneath.
ColonelPanik

Nov 18, 2008
11:54 AM EDT
TA, Right, some editor on this forum does not understand the correct technological terms we have to use to reply to this kind of ^*()$%!#T&*)+&^#$@~@##$$%^%.

Maybe we should post in other languages? Strine mate?
jdixon

Nov 18, 2008
1:56 PM EDT
> But that is what the Microsofties are like, they have to have faith,

As Bob Dylan said, "you're gonna have to serve somebody". They've made their choice.
herzeleid

Nov 18, 2008
1:59 PM EDT
> It's a bit like when I used to debate with religionists, every time you shoot down one patently ridiculous assertion, someone else comes along and repeats the same lame assertion.

Why bring religion into this? There have always been smarter persons than you or I on either side of that question. But I do agree that it's futile to argue against a mob.

I do take satisfaction in the fact that microsoft, with all their frantic hype over the years, has not yet managed to make a dent in linux.
tuxchick

Nov 18, 2008
2:07 PM EDT
yes, herzeleid, and for being such a pipsqueak (according to MS, Linux has less than 1% market share, is a toy OS that cannot scale, is full of stolen eye pee, and is a big legal tarpit) MS sure pays a lot of attention to it.
gus3

Nov 18, 2008
4:14 PM EDT
What was it Gandhi said? Something like, "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
tuxchick

Nov 18, 2008
4:16 PM EDT
And after he said that, Gandhi said "this article sure is a wad of used tissues."
devnet

Nov 19, 2008
10:01 AM EDT
"Acceptance without proof is the fundamental characteristic of Western religion; rejection without proof is the fundamental characteristic of Western science."
gus3

Nov 19, 2008
3:46 PM EDT
@devnet:

Sounds like the History Channel's show on Einstein that I saw Monday night.
NoDough

Nov 19, 2008
3:51 PM EDT
So, if I read this thread right, tracyanne and devnet are saying that any religious person (a vast majority of the human populous, last I checked) are closed minded idiots lacking the ability to reason.

Is that what you are saying? Is this really the place to be saying it?
montezuma

Nov 19, 2008
4:20 PM EDT
In my experience the only "religionists" who are irrational are the fundamentalists (Christian, Jewish , Muslim, Bhuddist and Hindu). The majority of theists are (fortunately) open minded and have at least as intellectually defensible a position as lets say Richard Dawkins (a radical atheist).

Microsofties are a different breed. They aren't irrational since their livelihood depends on spinning their product. That isn't close minded just soul destroying ;-)
tracyanne

Nov 19, 2008
4:22 PM EDT
I'm only saying that Microsofties have lots of faith, as that is the only reason I can see that they would keep on believing that this time Microsoft will deliver the goods only to be let down once again.

Anything else would be inappropriate in this forum.
NoDough

Nov 19, 2008
4:35 PM EDT
Quoting:Anything else would be inappropriate in this forum.
Indeed.
ColonelPanik

Nov 19, 2008
7:50 PM EDT
"Anything else would be inappropriate in this forum."

You can't get any lower than to talk about m$, that offends more than any language or topic you can think of.
tuxchick

Nov 19, 2008
8:22 PM EDT
Quoting: You can't get any lower than to talk about m$

Right, that's the geek Godwin's.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 19, 2008
8:49 PM EDT
What's going on in here?

;-)
jdixon

Nov 19, 2008
9:00 PM EDT
> What's going on in here?

(yip, yip)... nobody here but us chickens, boss. (yip, yip). :)
tuxchick

Nov 19, 2008
9:10 PM EDT
We're studying. Textbooks. Yeah, that's it, textbooks on.... coding! Yeah, that's it, coding.
tracyanne

Nov 19, 2008
9:37 PM EDT
I'm working on a web application we inherited, that's accessed by a number businesses, who can log in to an admin area, and view edit their details. The businesses database id is passed in a querystring in clear, so all anyone has to do is change the value and they can view/edit another business' details.

tracyanne

Nov 19, 2008
9:38 PM EDT
Sorry that should be OT
tuxchick

Nov 19, 2008
9:39 PM EDT
TA, that sounds like an MS product spec.
tracyanne

Nov 19, 2008
9:57 PM EDT
Acually Microsoft are way more secure than that, I've been to areas you have to log in to where the querystring is passed as a base64 string, I've never looked to see it it's encrypted as well.

No this is just amateur hour website development, at it's finest.
tuxchick

Nov 19, 2008
10:17 PM EDT
Just ROT13 it twice and you're good.
jdixon

Nov 19, 2008
10:36 PM EDT
> No this is just amateur hour website development, at it's finest.

Is that going to be your job to clean up? I don't envy you if so.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 19, 2008
11:19 PM EDT
Quoting:We're studying. Textbooks. Yeah, that's it, textbooks on.... coding! Yeah, that's it, coding.

Coding...riiiiight..

/gives knowing look to entire room with raised eyebrows...

gus3

Nov 19, 2008
11:31 PM EDT
The "coding" part I'll believe.

But "textbooks"? C'mon, nobody reads those anymore.
tracyanne

Nov 19, 2008
11:43 PM EDT
Quoting:Is that going to be your job to clean up? I don't envy you if so.

Yep it's my project to maintain it, so far that's all the owners will agree to. It's written in VB.Net. by someone who doesn't understand the .Net paradigm, or OO to boot, so it's bad OO as well as just plain badly put together.
ColonelPanik

Nov 20, 2008
12:43 AM EDT
BRB, I have to put more pins in the Scott-doll.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 20, 2008
9:08 AM EDT
Hey thanks Colonel, I think your pins fixed the crick I've had in my neck for a week..

;-)
jdixon

Nov 20, 2008
11:16 AM EDT
> Yep it's my project to maintain it,

You have my sympathy. Make sure to document the security holes in writing with all the appropriate folks. That way they can't blame you when they have a major incident.
machiner

Nov 20, 2008
8:24 PM EDT
Yaaaaaawn.
ColonelPanik

Nov 21, 2008
1:52 AM EDT
Scott, I was sure those pins were lower. A lot lower.

tuxchick

Nov 21, 2008
1:59 AM EDT
Acubunture?
gus3

Nov 21, 2008
2:19 AM EDT
VoodooBuntu.
happyfeet

Nov 21, 2008
12:25 PM EDT
/giggle...
ColonelPanik

Nov 21, 2008
12:56 PM EDT
Ubuntu 10.10 will be known as Awesome Ass.
gus3

Nov 21, 2008
1:57 PM EDT
As in, politician, or supermodel?
tracyanne

Nov 21, 2008
5:32 PM EDT
Awesome Ass that would have to be Politician Awesome Arse would have to be supermodel
Bob_Robertson

Nov 22, 2008
7:07 AM EDT
Darn. Missed it.
devnet

Dec 04, 2008
12:17 PM EDT
Quoting:So, if I read this thread right, tracyanne and devnet are saying that any religious person (a vast majority of the human populous, last I checked) are closed minded idiots lacking the ability to reason.

Is that what you are saying? Is this really the place to be saying it?

Actually, I wasn't implying anything by quoting the quote I did. I was showing that both sides of the fence are extreme zealots. Either you have ultimate acceptance without proof or you have ultimate rejection without proof.

In both instances, everyone loses. Both sides can be close minded :(
Bob_Robertson

Dec 04, 2008
12:26 PM EDT
> Both sides can be close minded

Yeah? Prove it!
Sander_Marechal

Dec 04, 2008
12:53 PM EDT
Hehehehe :-)
devnet

Dec 04, 2008
2:32 PM EDT
Quoting:Yeah? Prove it!

:P

I don't have to prove it because the other side is wrong and there is nothing that they can do or say to change my mind.

;)
ColonelPanik

Dec 04, 2008
8:40 PM EDT
I have been exchanging emails with a lawyer who is a self proclaimed LINUX ZEALOT. He offered to give my daughter a Linux computer and FREE tech support.

Now, you want to bad mouth zealots? Don't!
cybergal

Dec 05, 2008
2:48 AM EDT
You'd trust your daughter with a....[gulp] lawyer? j/k!
ColonelPanik

Dec 05, 2008
12:24 PM EDT
cybergal, Sad to say but my daughter IS a lawyer. But hey, she does intend to run her practice with nothing but FOSS.
cybergal

Dec 06, 2008
1:57 AM EDT
One out of two ain't bad!
hkwint

Dec 07, 2008
5:32 PM EDT
HeY, U LaMe WiNdOzE UzErZ StFu, Cuz I'm TiReD oF U!

Oh, wait, no Windoze users in here? Anybody out there? Ok, that's it. I'm outta here.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!