The devolution of a Linux user

Story: The evolution of a Linux userTotal Replies: 21
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Nov 26, 2008
1:06 AM EDT
Its a different thing for each person. No set rules can apply.
gus3

Nov 26, 2008
1:42 AM EDT
Food for thought:

Evolution occurs only between generations. Individuals do not evolve; they age.
number6x

Nov 26, 2008
3:53 PM EDT
gus3,

Individuals can learn and alter behavior.

At least some can. (I'm still trying)
herzeleid

Nov 26, 2008
4:11 PM EDT
Individuals can evolve -

Case in point: Vic Ferrari/Latka said something along the lines of "Hey, I thought I had a right to evolve, but I'm sensing a lot of hostility here!"
hkwint

Nov 26, 2008
5:20 PM EDT
And if a Linux-user can't evolve, at least they can emerge.
gus3

Nov 26, 2008
5:33 PM EDT
And they're so tender when they do. Yum!
tracyanne

Nov 26, 2008
6:06 PM EDT
Evolution means change, so in fact Linux users can evolve, at least I think Linux users can change.
ColonelPanik

Nov 26, 2008
7:37 PM EDT
Change user, of course we can.
tracyanne

Nov 26, 2008
7:59 PM EDT
isn't that switch user?
Bob_Robertson

Nov 26, 2008
9:30 PM EDT
To get serious, humans have not evolved much, if at all, since the neolithic.

The evolution of _ideas_ has surpassed any possible speed of physical evolution.

We have no claws, no fur, no big teeth, yet we are masters of this world because we have the most effective weapons of all: Learning, imagination, forward planning.

Debian users don't evolve, we dist-upgrade.
jezuch

Nov 27, 2008
2:27 AM EDT
Quoting:we dist-upgrade

With aptitude! ;)
herzeleid

Nov 27, 2008
3:57 AM EDT
aptly put!
jacog

Nov 27, 2008
4:16 AM EDT
very punny, guys
Bob_Robertson

Nov 27, 2008
11:58 AM EDT
I cannot get aptitude or any of the other "higher" level tools to work for me as well as dselect does.

I'm told over and over to use something "better" than dselect, but if it doesn't work is it really "better"?

I also note that the Sound Blaster CD-ROM connected through the sound card that I had in my first Linux PC in 1995 is still supported.

Linux! Where dinosaurs yet live!
hkwint

Nov 27, 2008
2:46 PM EDT
But how can you select packages with deselect?
herzeleid

Nov 27, 2008
4:42 PM EDT
FWIW I don't get the purpose of aptitude. apt-get works for me.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 27, 2008
5:23 PM EDT
dselect is just a curses-based package management tool. Search, select, delete, etc. Just like all the rest. I cannot tell you it works better for me than anything else.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 27, 2008
5:55 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't get the purpose of aptitude.

Simple. Automatic *removal* of dependencies you no longer need. That makes it oh so much easier to keep your system clean. Especially if you install lots of software just to try it out and remove it afterwards.

I never use aptitude in curses though. Only as a CLI command, just like you use apt-get.

Note that automated dependency removal only works if you install the software with aptitude to begin with. So it's not much use to me on a system that was maintained with apt-get.
herzeleid

Nov 27, 2008
7:29 PM EDT
@sander - thanks for the explanation. I still have much to learn about the debian packaging world.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 27, 2008
9:03 PM EDT
apt-get autoremove

Works for me.
jezuch

Nov 28, 2008
2:57 AM EDT
Quoting:apt-get autoremove

Works for me.

Exactly. This is not a unique future of aptitude anymore :) For me it's better dependency resolution and, most of all, much better dependency conflict resolution, including an interactive mode where I can browse the possible solutions and/or skip it and make my own. I too use aptitude mostly from the command line but the interactive mode is very useful for many, many things.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 28, 2008
3:41 AM EDT
I tried interactive mode a few times but it utterly confuses me, especially when there's a conflict that needs to be resolves. The CLI offers you a very simple "Yes/No/Shut-up-and-do-as-I-tell-you" but the interactive interface starts spitting all kinds of things at me. I've never been able to properly resolve a conflict in interactive mode.

That said, I don't really use interactive mode and know perhaps 5% of what it is capable of. I simply haven't found a reason to climb that learning curve yet.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!