Author Content
tracyanne

Dec 01, 2008
8:46 PM EDT
nt
Sander_Marechal

Dec 02, 2008
2:24 AM EDT
If you stick Linux on there, does everything work? Can you make phone calls? If not, then it's just another gadget instead of a phone you can use on a day-to-day basis.
tracyanne

Dec 02, 2008
4:28 AM EDT
At the moment you can't do anything with it, except boot into busybox
dinotrac

Dec 02, 2008
10:33 AM EDT
Why would you buy an iPhone to put linux on it, other than curiosity?

A significant part of what makes an iPhone cool is the software. If you don't wan that, why pay the iPhone price?
jsusanka

Dec 02, 2008
11:51 AM EDT
"Why would you buy an iPhone to put linux on it, other than curiosity?

A significant part of what makes an iPhone cool is the software. If you don't wan that, why pay the iPhone price?"

although I agree with you I am just glad Linus didn't think that way when he started linux on the pc.

dinotrac

Dec 02, 2008
1:23 PM EDT
>although I agree with you I am just glad Linus didn't think that way when he started linux on the pc.

Different situation.

He wanted a Unix to hack on, minix wasn't quite working for him and BSD was still feeling the effects of AT&T's lawsuit.

He was able to work on commodity PCs, not fancy hardware with the Apple logo.
tracyanne

Dec 02, 2008
3:56 PM EDT
Quoting:A significant part of what makes an iPhone cool is the software.

It's the design that makes the iPhone cool to me. I'm not impressed with the software that comes with it. Lock in to iTunes, some silly application that apparently tells you what song you are trying to sing, not interested. Anything at all that reguires Apple servers to work is mostly trivial frippery.

The really useful, and therefore sexy stuff, comes in Linux variations.
jsusanka

Dec 03, 2008
9:27 AM EDT
"He was able to work on commodity PCs, not fancy hardware with the Apple logo."

But the pc back when linux was born was fancy and mini and portable compared to midrange and mainframe computers - you know they had the power of some mainframes in such a small form factor.

not much unlike the iphone. which today may not be commodity hardware (that is debatable more proprietary and protected by lawyers than fancy in my book) but it is a smaller form factor of the pc much like the pc was to mainframe and midrange systems.

anyway my two cents worth.
dinotrac

Dec 03, 2008
9:43 AM EDT
>But the pc back when linux was born was fancy and mini and portable compared to midrange and mainframe computers.

Nah.

By the time he started working on Linux, 386/486 class AT clones could be had for $1,000 or so, with discards available for nearly nothing.

I have no idea what an iphone costs because, in the US, you can't buy it without a service plan and a contract. It seems to be awfully pricey for a piece of portable electronic gear.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!