Just like Ubuntu

Story: Slackware 12.2 releasedTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
bigg

Dec 11, 2008
11:55 AM EDT
Almost, anyway. Last release was seven months ago.

I've used Slackware 12.1 since it was released. Still looking for dependency hell. Still trying to find the difficulties and time wasters, the endless editing of configuration files.

Seven months and not a single bug.

Oh, and for anyone who thinks of Slackware as a "server" operating system, I've got the latest version _every_ app I use. I've got the latest Flash player release, and OOo 3. Installation of everything was (almost) trivial.

By comparison, in Ubuntu I'd be looking at some pretty old packages. I guess at least I wouldn't have had to compile anything on Ubuntu. My fingers are so tired from updating a half dozen packages myself. That ./foo.SlackBuild thing is really complicated.

moopst

Dec 11, 2008
5:56 PM EDT
I've used Slackware since 9.1 and though I've tried other distros on the laptop, I keep Slack as my main desktop.

But I wouldn't say it's just like Ubuntu. I couldn't get X graphics to work on my cheap Dell, I couldn't get the installer to let me use more partitions than / and a swap. Ubuntu didn't seem to have Reiser in it's kernel.

Slackware and the occasional visit to linuxpackages.net and I'm all set. Oh, but I do use Zenwalk on my 1999 Micron which I keep around for the good Yamaha sound card to digitize my vinyl collection.
herzeleid

Dec 11, 2008
6:16 PM EDT
> I couldn't get the installer to let me use more partitions than / and a swap. Ubuntu didn't seem to have Reiser in it's kernel.

Don't know what to tell you there. Happily running ubuntu, and have always used reiser.

~$ mount /dev/sda1 on / type reiserfs (rw,relatime,notail) proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev) /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev) varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755) varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777) udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755) devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620) lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.24-21-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw) /dev/sda2 on /home type reiserfs (rw,relatime) /dev/sda7 on /local1 type reiserfs (rw,relatime) /dev/sda8 on /local2 type xfs (rw,relatime) securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw) binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev) tmpfs on /lib/modules/2.6.24-22-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)

jdixon

Dec 11, 2008
9:34 PM EDT
> Slackware and the occasional visit to linuxpackages.net and I'm all set.

Don't forget sbopkg and Slackbuilds,org.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!