I don't have much use for these compositing desktops

Story: First There Was Compiz, Now There Is Compiz++Total Replies: 5
Author Content
tracyanne

Dec 26, 2008
6:12 PM EDT
When they finally provide me with the functionality that I have on a KDE3.x desktop, then I'll think about using them, it's because of the reduced functionality in KDE4, that I won't use it. What really got me, when I swapped emails with a certain KDE4 advocate, was the arrogance, the unstated assumption that I should be grateful, because KDE4 has new functionality (I never actually found it, all I found was eye candy), and that missing functionality was somehow irrelevant.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 26, 2008
7:29 PM EDT
I never had the desire to use Compiz. When I installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, it was enabled by default, and while I didn't deem it essential by any means, it was somewhat pleasant to use and didn't appear to affect performance.

I wouldn't go out of my way to use Compiz, but I also wouldn't go out of my way to disable it, either.

I guess that's sort of an endorsement.
tracyanne

Dec 26, 2008
7:42 PM EDT
Interestingly, People who use GNOME probably wouldn't notice the missing functionality, when using the Compiz cube, as it's something that is part of KDE3.x, but doesn't appear to be available in GNOME, or KDE4, for that matter.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 26, 2008
7:54 PM EDT
I have the default Compiz turned on in Ubuntu. No cube, just a little zipping and zapping. That's enough for me.
TxtEdMacs

Dec 26, 2008
8:42 PM EDT
Not sure what you mean by the Cube, however, on 8.10 my son showed me Compiz on a very old machine circa 2000-2001 type hardware that had as just one option* a cube that when rotated showed different desktops. Moreover, he seemed able to shift side wise and up & down to see the same differing desktops when he so chose. I was impressed.

What just seemed superfluous was the shimmy (wave like distortion, like wave on a fluid surface) when moved. He was impressed saying with the old hardware it had the graphic features of MS Vista without the draggy performance. I am not a lover of GUIs, but Compiz seems to have some utility that even I might find useful.

[See all tags as serious]

* he showed me other distorted shapes, e.g. oval and others that just looked weird to me that also worked like the cube.
jhansonxi

Dec 28, 2008
1:49 AM EDT
To get the cube on Ubuntu you need to install the Compiz Settings Manager and enable it. I disable Compiz because it interferes with full-screen OpenGL apps (many games).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!