Say What?

Story: What flavor is your smartphone OS?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
techiem2

Dec 30, 2008
6:59 PM EDT
Quoting:Mobile Linux has multiple flavors, as is appropriate for an open-source operating system. You won’t necessarily see Linux mentioned as a phone’s operating system. Motorola, for example, sells a lot of mobile Linux phones.

“They don’t give you any way to add applications to them, or to synchronize with a PC, either,” said Greengart. “The consumer smartphone experience, which usually includes mobile e-mail and some sort of PC synchronization, is absent from these devices.”

Funny...cuz last I heard Android had an app repository (they cover Android separately, but don't mention it's App Store except as a passing note in the Apple App Store Section - odd as they make a big deal out of the Apple App Store).. Not to mention my Freerunner..which is based on angstrom (or debian...or gentoo...)...which has huge repositories in addition to the offical ones. All of which have, of course, several ways to add applications to them....

Synchronization might be an issue, but I haven't really delved into that area as most of my time management stuff and email accounts are web based, so there's really nothing to synchronize between machines.

Steven_Rosenber

Dec 31, 2008
3:29 PM EDT
My favorite is vanilla bean.
techiem2

Dec 31, 2008
6:51 PM EDT
mmm. Gotta love a nice fresh roasted gentoo cd.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!