Name suggestions have closed unfortunately

Story: What will Fedora 11 be called?Total Replies: 15
Author Content
tracyanne

Jan 05, 2009
6:22 PM EDT
I was about to suggest Stephen, as in Stephen Hawking British theoretical physicist and Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge.
montezuma

Jan 05, 2009
6:25 PM EDT
OK you asked for it Trace. My suggestion is "Black Hole" instead of Stephen.
caitlyn

Jan 05, 2009
6:52 PM EDT
My suggestion is Frolicking Ferret since I have pet ferrets and I think they're great. Wait a minute... this isn't Ubuntu so no silly animal names. Oh well.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 05, 2009
8:12 PM EDT
Too bad Caitlyn. If Ubuntu keeps on it's current naming scheme the the F won't come up until first half of 2020 (Ubuntu 20.04 - Frolicking Ferret?)
tracyanne

Jan 05, 2009
9:13 PM EDT
@montezuma
Quoting:My suggestion is "Black Hole" instead of Stephen.

The Fedora naming convention requires that the new release name have some identifiable connection with the previous release name. Unfortunately black holes have no connection with Cambridge, while Stephen Hawking has a strong connection with Cambridge.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 05, 2009
9:26 PM EDT
How about "Don"?
montezuma

Jan 05, 2009
9:30 PM EDT
@tracyanne

But but but Black Holes are the main area of research at Hawking's *Cambridge* Department.
tracyanne

Jan 05, 2009
9:39 PM EDT
@Steven, as in "Don.is Good"? sorry... it's a brand of salami over here.
tuxchick

Jan 05, 2009
11:38 PM EDT
Ferocious Ferret. Freakazoid Ferret. Fiscally Responsible Ferret. Fierce Fighting Ferret. Fractal Ferret. Fragrant Ferret. Fabulous Furry Ferret. Fibreoptic Ferret. Fibonacci number Ferret. Fractious Ferret. Facetious Ferret.
tracyanne

Jan 05, 2009
11:59 PM EDT
Have you got a ferret in your pants Carla?
tuxchick

Jan 06, 2009
12:36 AM EDT
Quoting: Have you got a ferret in your pants Carla?

Someone stop me before I say "No, I'm happy to see you."
tracyanne

Jan 06, 2009
1:17 AM EDT
Someone pick me up off the floor.
jacog

Jan 06, 2009
4:03 AM EDT
Let's not name any Linux distribution after arrogant misogynystic self-centered jerks like Stephen Hawking. And I have yet to be convinced that he has contributed anything meaningful, practical and useful to science. *flings poo* /rant out

montezuma

Jan 06, 2009
9:28 AM EDT
+1 jacog

Hawking is a media celebrity with a rather short list of achievements in physics. Most of his work concerned black holes and because such objects are incredibly hard to observe there is little verification (or otherwise) of his educated speculations. He is nowhere near the level of Einstein.
jacog

Jan 06, 2009
10:00 AM EDT
( deleted epic rant )
gus3

Jan 06, 2009
3:15 PM EDT
Don Vito.

As in "an offer you can't refuse".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!