Bastardization of "intellectual property"

Story: Intellectual Property Is A Mental IllnessTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
Libervis

Jan 17, 2009
7:10 PM EDT
I would happily agree to letting the term "intellectual property" die until it can, once rid of the old misconceptions, be resurrected to describe what it should have in my opinion been describing all along.

I think that since you own your self you also own thoughts within your mind (energy flow patterns or whatever). If you own a computer you also own the data and programs which are in that computer. If you own a DVD you own the content of that DVD too. And all of this goes regardless of whether the copies stored in your mind or your computer or your DVD are the first copies of such data ever conceived (originals) or just duplicates that you acquired by means of trade or other voluntary consent (someone told you an idea, uploaded something to your computer or burned a DVD for you).

That's how I see the true "intellectual property". It's all about specific individual units, not about the content of those units. Just because Microsoft made the original Windows XP code does not mean that they own a Windows XP copy that is in my possession, if I got it from someone by his own agreement and he may have gotten it directly from Microsoft. He may have promised Microsoft not to make anyone a copy, but if he breaches this promise this breach is solely his responsibility, not mine. If someone decides to break MS's EULA to make a copy to me, I am not responsible for his breach, he is. Since I got it through an agreement, I own my copy regardless. Period.

Suggesting otherwise is invalidating property rights of millions of people.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!