Steering wheel

Story: The Home Computer In 2004 (As Imagined In 1954)Total Replies: 12
Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 18, 2009
11:12 PM EDT
Caitlyn, that giant wheel from the wreck of the Titanic was an early touchball prototype. The debate over whether to go with a wheel or a ball was so fierce that duels were fought, and consequently there were not enough survivors to carry on development.
DrDubious

Jan 19, 2009
12:31 AM EDT
Wasn't this pictured revealed to be a modern hoax. Or more accurately - if I'm remembering correctly - the PICTURE is actually real, but it's not a picture of a computer (it's the caption that's the "hoax"). As I recall, it's actually a picture of the control panels in a new (for the 1950's) submarine.
gus3

Jan 19, 2009
12:53 AM EDT
Snopes to the rescue:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp
tuxchick

Jan 19, 2009
11:01 AM EDT
Overliteral geeks ruin a good joke AGAIN!
gus3

Jan 19, 2009
11:10 AM EDT
Just call me Mister Wet Blanket.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 19, 2009
1:38 PM EDT
I hereby launch a formal protest against TC for stealing my role in the LXer forums. It was obvious in the last line she took my persona without asking:

Quoting: ... fierce that duels were fought, and consequently there were not enough survivors to carry on development.

A 24" monitor or larger would suffice to assuage my hurt. [moan, sniffle, whimper ... real tears]

YBT
ColonelPanik

Jan 19, 2009
1:42 PM EDT
TEM: I need two (one for my dear wife).

We were lied too? More than once? They even took pictures of the lie? Thank God that we on LXer have honest mods/editors to protect us.
tuxchick

Jan 19, 2009
1:47 PM EDT
Quoting: Just call me Mister Wet Blanket.

I did! And party pooper too!

Sorry TxtEdMacs, I couldn't help myself. Here, you can have your persona back. I made a few improvements and polished it all shiny.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 19, 2009
1:59 PM EDT
Are there people switching heads in my forums?

;-)
gus3

Jan 19, 2009
2:47 PM EDT
Yeah, sorry, I had to switch back to my 1280x1024 flatscreen, because the CRT is too deep for the desk I'm using right now.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 19, 2009
2:49 PM EDT
Scott,

Quoting:Are there people switching heads in my forums?

Just another advantage of free, readily referenced open standards. We have the same thread pitch, standard hole size and depth, with brain cases easily switched out to new, better bodies.

I am told that's why the LXer forums have the reputation where a lot of screw balls hang out.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 19, 2009
2:53 PM EDT
TC,

Quoting:... you can have your persona back. I made a few improvements and polished it all shiny.

Thanks, but I would have preferred the Big A** monitor. Personalities* I have dozens I can switch modes with no problem, but what I need is something of suitable size to push that old 20" thing to the side.

YBT

* some maintain I lack even one, but I assert that is just the jealous, envious mob speak
caitlyn

Jan 19, 2009
6:30 PM EDT
Yes, it's a hoax. I hadn't seen it before so I didn't know whether it was real or not. It wasn't any more far fetched than pictures of the space stations we're all supposed to be living in now or the flying cars and jetpacks we're all supposed to be commuting with. It really doesn't matter if it's real or not. It's just plain funny.

Just remember to duck and cover in case of nuclear attack.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!