The story thus far...

Story: Plea to Educators: Don't Force a Format Down Students' ThroatsTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
kenholmz

Jan 20, 2009
11:22 PM EDT
As I have read the postings on the website of the television station that reported on the student I noted three primary things: 1) The devolved Linux/Ubuntu users couldn't resist making uncivilized responses. 2) Some Linux/Ubuntu users responded with intelligent information and dialog. 3) After the report there was a positive response from the ISP, the school and from Dell.

I am thankful for #2 and #3. The folks in #1 are part of the problem, just as the "entrenched" ones are.

tracyanne

Jan 20, 2009
11:47 PM EDT
Indeed.
bigg

Jan 21, 2009
7:13 AM EDT
Give me an example of any situation where a large number of individuals participate and 100% of what is said is reasonable and friendly. It's a Web 2.0 problem having nothing to do with Linux.
jdixon

Jan 21, 2009
1:42 PM EDT
> It's a Web 2.0 problem having nothing to do with Linux.

It's worse than that. It's a people problem, not a problem with any software implementation or framework. A certain percentage of people are jerks. Give a large enough number of people, one or more jerks will show up and make their presence known. This is as much a problem in the real world as it is online. It's just that the real world has had a lot longer to develop mechanisms for dealing with it.
kenholmz

Jan 21, 2009
1:48 PM EDT
@bigg @jdixon

I agree with both of you. However, in this instance my focus is narrowed to the incident reported and that does have a lot to do with Linux.
tuxchick

Jan 21, 2009
1:50 PM EDT
This was more than a few jerks-- it was half the freaking Internet. I guess it's a lot more fun to flame and jump on an already oversized pigpile of an extremely trivial issue, than to spend one-tenth as much time doing something useful. I have nothing but scorn for all the idiots who treated this as the Big Deal of the Century. Probably the same lot that thought jumping all over the "Karen" (the Austin teacher) story was a fun recreational thing to do too, and that includes most of the tech press. Make that scorn, disdain, and detestation. Hey, let's bring back the stocks. We'll only put people in them who commit trivial offenses, and treat them as capital crimes. Yay!

It's definitely worse in the tech world; you don't see this kind of massively psychotic behavior on gardening forums, or truck forums, or gun forums, or woodworking forums, or sewing forums, or any other place where normal people hang out.

Did I mention disgust? That too.
jdixon

Jan 21, 2009
2:05 PM EDT
> Hey, let's bring back the stocks. We'll only put people in them who commit trivial offenses,

I thought the stocks were for trivial offenses. I'd have to check my history books to be sure.

> ...or gun forums,...

I don't know if I'd go that far or not. Gun folks can get rather zealous. And not all of them can be considered "normal" by most people's definitions of the term.
tuxchick

Jan 21, 2009
2:23 PM EDT
You might get flamed by gun aficionados for holding incorrect political views, but not for being ignorant of gun knowledge.
number6x

Jan 21, 2009
2:30 PM EDT
The tin foil hat wearing gnome that whispers secrets in my deaf ear says that Microsoft got a black eye with the Royal Navy and had to make sure that some bad Linux news came out to counter.
jezuch

Jan 21, 2009
4:32 PM EDT
Quoting:It's worse than that. It's a people problem, not a problem with any software implementation or framework.

Yes. But the Internet has a funny tendency of lowering jerkiness threshold, for some individuals very significantly.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 21, 2009
4:42 PM EDT
Quoting:This is as much a problem in the real world as it is online. It's just that the real world has had a lot longer to develop mechanisms for dealing with it.

Yeah, it's called "a punch in the face".
jdixon

Jan 21, 2009
10:36 PM EDT
> Yeah, it's called "a punch in the face".

That's one of them, yes. :)
NoDough

Jan 23, 2009
2:42 PM EDT
>> Yes. But the Internet has a funny tendency of lowering jerkiness threshold, for some individuals very significantly.

Yes, the Internet gives people a false sense of anonymity. They will say things online that they would never say in front of a camera.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 23, 2009
3:00 PM EDT
> But the Internet has a funny tendency of lowering jerkiness threshold, for some individuals very significantly.

*A-choo*!!
jezuch

Jan 23, 2009
6:20 PM EDT
Quoting:*A-choo*!!

Na zdrowie! :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!