6 Versions

Story: Does Microsoft Understand Simplicity?Total Replies: 14
Author Content
steever

Feb 05, 2009
7:54 AM EDT
Ubuntu Kubuntu Xubuntu Edubuntu Mythbuntu ...

Damn! Just 5!

Wait ... Server edition and JEOS!
Sander_Marechal

Feb 05, 2009
8:03 AM EDT
And Ubuntu netbook edition and mobile edition.
jacog

Feb 05, 2009
8:13 AM EDT
There is a difference though.

I could install Ubuntu, open up Synaptic, tick the Xubuntu desktop meta-package box and voila, I have an XFCE desktop for it.

With Windows, if you have a crippled version (because that's really all they are selling when you get "Home Basic" or whatever) then you are stuck with that crippled version until you pay money for a slightly less (but still) crippled version.
steever

Feb 05, 2009
9:39 AM EDT
Ubuntu's crippled version >>> kubuntu (ducks)
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 05, 2009
12:04 PM EDT
@steever

Hey now! There is no way you can say that and actually mean it.

big meanie..;-)
rijelkentaurus

Feb 05, 2009
12:37 PM EDT
Good point in that all *buntu versions are simply different implementations of the base, and every version has full access to everything in the repos, nothing is crippled. Windows versions are different in what they can do, what they can be used for, etc, and you're stuck with what you buy.
techiem2

Feb 05, 2009
2:07 PM EDT
Quoting:etc, and you're stuck with what you buy.

Actually as I recall a Vista install actually installs everything, you just don't have access to it. You can upgrade your license (i.e. pay MS more money) directly from Windows to get the other stuff.

I assume Win7 will be the same.
TxtEdMacs

Feb 05, 2009
2:09 PM EDT
Hey in the spirit of Truthiness, I must correct you all. There were times to MS's dismay they were not so good at crippling versions.

Back in the day of early NT there were server and workstation versions, where the latter was intended for developers (now all sing: "I Love Developers, Developers, Develoopers, Deveobloopers, ... [don't get too carried away]), hence, a small model network could be mocked up into a small test version. Well instead of the three or four intended, the desktop version could support easily mid-teen number of clients. At that time this could have been a reasonable sized production network group.

I remember the dire warning given out about how NT Workstation was limited to no more three or four clients and for testing environments only. There were threats of legal consequences if those terms were breached (see MS has a long history of mistreating its customers). I remember those threats were long and loud, which I assume meant many were putting the misbegotten ability to use at the lower price point despite MS's harsh words.

So you see MS does not cripple all its software on purpose (or by design) sometimes they only say they do. Other times crippling is a feature that might be corrected in a later patch when they break other parts, intentionally or not.

Now that I have enlightened you about your all to glib words of derision aimed at all things MS, I must finance my golf outing with a big shot from the NW territories (c.f. dino post to me). Therefore, I suggest your contacting me directly so that I can allow you to pay proper penance by small, multiple deposits into my Barbados account.

Thank you very much for your generosity,

YBT
vainrveenr

Feb 05, 2009
4:47 PM EDT
Quoting:Ubuntu Kubuntu Xubuntu Edubuntu Mythbuntu ...

Damn! Just 5!
... and for several relatively current iterations of Vector Linux, via the VL 'Downloads' site http://vectorlinux.com/downloads :

VectorLinux 6.0 Standard Family - VL 6.0 Standard Edition RC4

VectorLinux 6.0 Light Family - VL 6.0 Light Edition B2

VectorLinux 5.9 Standard Family - VL 5.9 Standard Edition - VL 5.9 Deluxe 2-CD Set - Live CD - VL 5.9 Live Edition - 64-Bit - VL 5.9 64 bits Edition Beta2 VectorLinux 5.9 SOHO Family - VL 5.9.1 SOHO Deluxe "new" - VL 5.9.1 SOHO Deluxe Bundle "new" - Live CD - VL 5.9 SOHO Deluxe Edition Live Preview - VL 5.9.1 SOHO Download edition "new" VectorLinux 5.9 Light Family - VL 5.9 Light Edition - Live CD - VL 5.9 Light Live Edition Beta 1

hkwint

Feb 05, 2009
5:51 PM EDT
Quoting:There is a difference though.

I could install Ubuntu, open up Synaptic, tick the Xubuntu desktop meta-package box and voila, I have an XFCE desktop for it.

Well, apparently it is intended to do the same with Windows and KDE. If it turns out to work, I wonder if that would bring the total number of Windows versions on 10 (assuming KDE4 doesn't run on the most basic versions?).

However, Windows with KDE pre-installed may not be redistributed except by MS itself I assume; so it's not really a version.
ColonelPanik

Feb 05, 2009
6:44 PM EDT
How come TexEd knows sooooo much about Winders?
TxtEdMacs

Feb 05, 2009
7:06 PM EDT
CP,

Quoting:How come TexEd knows sooooo much about Winders?

First get my name right, not a Texan. No Txt. like in text. Got it?

Now in answer to your query: BECAUSE I AM A Winders TERRORIST!

Any other questions before we get back to financial issues? Just wondering am I a big enough jerk to be a successful* Banker? Open to suggestions.

YBT

* Meaning gather billions and lose it all on dumb investments so that I can milk the Treasury due to the fear I will bring the entire economy down if I am not made a happy guy again. [Sounds like a sweet deal to me.]
gus3

Feb 05, 2009
7:08 PM EDT
He doesn't. He simply starts with the assumption that the user is an idiot, then everything else falls into place^W^Wapart. Just like Winders.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 05, 2009
8:07 PM EDT
I don't know if your a big enough jerk..but your definitely crazy enough to win the "LXer Insane Forum Contributor" award though.

You know, sometimes I amaze even myself...

insane forum contributor...LOL!!
TxtEdMacs

Feb 05, 2009
8:56 PM EDT
Scott,

Just one question: any money associated with that award? Maybe I can use it to swindle some more money from the Feds to revive my banking gig. Certainly more honest than and Safer than armed robbery. Plus the rate of return is so much higher.

What's that word for an exhilarating state of mind and body where failure is impossible. That's me when the next check arrives, so I kick back a little to keep it coming. That's business, I wonder if I can write it off and lower my tax rate?

Talk to later guy, by the way I prefer a bank draft I thought I should take a quickie rest in a jaunt to the islands. I been working so hard lately.

YBT

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!