yay I have heat again!

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tuxchick

Feb 10, 2009
3:46 PM EDT
Totally not Linux-related, I'm just happy to be warm. The tale thus far:

Last night I am almost asleep when I notice, hey, the well pump sure is running a long time. Being a natural-born worrier, I come wide awake and listen. Yep, it's running too much. It's the middle of the cold frosty night, so I stumble out in my jammies and fleecy slippers with the Vibram soles (really! they're awesome for stumbling around in the dark on a freezing night) and turn the dratted thing off at the breaker.

The fun part is my heat and cooling come from an excellent ground-source heat pump. Unfortunately, no water means no heat. Oh well, pile on more blankets. Rar, we am tuff. I am the only resident of Eastern Oregon who does not have a wood stove. Silly me, I prefer to breath air.

Fast-forward to the cold freezy morning. Same wardrobe. I try all the obvious stuff-- no the pressure switch is not frozen. Yes the pressure tank has pressure. No leaks. Time to call in (nooo don't make me!) a Professional. Out here in the sticks there are many capable Professional Fixer Doods-- electricians, plumbers, carpenters, and so on. The problem is getting them to show up, because as long the as the wife has a job they're not very motivated to perform actual work.

Anyway I luck out and find someone who can jump right on it. Yay, it is the pressure switch, which is cheap and easy. I love cheap and easy. Now I am warm again and can even type, thanks to thawed-out fingers. The end.
ColonelPanik

Feb 10, 2009
4:04 PM EDT
Get a wood stove, we can't afford to lose you!
tracyanne

Feb 10, 2009
4:21 PM EDT
Carla, I'd have happily sent you some of ours, the temperature has been floating around 28 to 31 degrees Celsius at midnight at our place since before Christmas, and mid to high 30s and occassionally low 40 during the day. I'm happy to share it with you any time.
dinotrac

Feb 10, 2009
4:41 PM EDT
TC --

I'm sure that you are environmentally correct and frontier-rugged and all that, but, man -- we would die if it weren't for a couple of room-sized oil-filled radiators we got for $30 each.

In our case, they help us make up for oddities in the house (like a well-insulated upstairs and not-so-hot (pun!!) downstairs, but...

in a pinch, they can give you a warm room (and bathroom -- not to be understimated in its importance)
theboomboomcars

Feb 10, 2009
4:43 PM EDT
Hey tracyanne I am experiencing the same temperatures here. If you change the Celsius to Fahrenheit. It's been nice to be out of the single digits.
techiem2

Feb 10, 2009
4:49 PM EDT
The 2-3 comps always running in my room tend to keep it nice and toasty. :P
hkwint

Feb 10, 2009
6:57 PM EDT
Quite a silly word, I understand Australia is on fire and in Oregon the pressure switch almost freezes. The physician in me says a superconducting cable should be made between those two, but hey, who's paying for all that super-conducting material?

For me it's quite easy: The thermostat can only go between 1 and 5 and over 3 it does something (radiators are warm), below 3 it does nothing and I have to rely on the heat from my neighbour below me, which sometimes is just enough. If the thermostat fails, I have a 380V electrical cooking plate which I can probably use to warm my room as well, and if not I need to fetch the blankets from my car. On this part of the continent nobody uses wood stoves because they deem it too dangerous I believe, and they'd say it's not environmentally friendly or something like that. Which in fact is just an excuse because the real reason is there is not enough wood because our ancestors cut down all the forests to make room for agriculture. Yay, welcome to European style environmentalism!
Sander_Marechal

Feb 11, 2009
4:38 AM EDT
I never turn on my radiotors. Ever. I live at the ground floor of an apartment building and the entire buildings hot water pipes run through my floor. This provides plenty of heat all year long. When it gets really biting cold I may turn on the main heat valve but I keep all the radiators themselves off.

You cannot post until you login.