Excellent resource

Story: Open Source News from FOSDEM 2009 - Day 1Total Replies: 19
Author Content
penguinist

Feb 11, 2009
12:07 PM EDT
Thank you very much for documenting FOSDEM09 for us in such detail. I am putting this article in my bookmarks. It's going to take some time to absorb all its content.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 11, 2009
12:17 PM EDT
You should see my notes. 16 pages of handwritten A4 :-)

Anyway, hopefully Hans and I can get the second part out tomorrow or on Friday.
bigg

Feb 11, 2009
12:24 PM EDT
Why is your picture so much bigger than Hans's?
hkwint

Feb 11, 2009
1:52 PM EDT
Quoting:Why is your picture so much bigger than Hans's?

Because that stresses how much more important Sander is than I am. Seriously, a few years ago (2005 I think) the small size was default for LXer, now the big size is default, and I'm too shy to upload a bigger picture of myself. Or more probably not too shy but too lazy; working on it however. ED: Done!

Quoting:16 pages of handwritten A4 :-)

Well done, I only reached 5,5 A4. I hope LXer provides you some new pencils as it seems you deserved these.

Quoting:Anyway, hopefully Hans and I can get the second part out tomorrow or on Friday.

OK, your quest is my command.
tuxchick

Feb 11, 2009
4:25 PM EDT
Great writeup, nice work!
gus3

Feb 11, 2009
4:33 PM EDT
Quoting:I hope LXer provides you some new pencils as it seems you deserved these.
Yeah, the crayons are a bit much. I mean, come on, 16 pages of A4?!?

/me ducks and runs
ColonelPanik

Feb 11, 2009
4:38 PM EDT
Hand written notes? Handwritten? Boys this is a tech forum. High tech! Things must be tough in the Third-World.

In spite of the lack of geek gear you did a stellar job. Go out and have a couple, charge it to your LXer expense account.

Almost as good as being there, thanks guys!
Sander_Marechal

Feb 11, 2009
4:42 PM EDT
Colonel, I did have an EeePC at my disposal but for such things handwritten is just easier. It's much faster to correct things, draw schematics and write things in margins than it it writing it in a text editor on a PC. You can't beat paper for scribbling down notes.
ColonelPanik

Feb 11, 2009
4:58 PM EDT
/humor
hkwint

Feb 11, 2009
7:30 PM EDT
Sander forgot to mention the main issue: All sockets were taken by the netbook-geeks, so when a friend of Sander (also at FOSDEM) couldn't do anything but look for a free socket for his netbook, Sander and I were happily taking notes the medieval way. Which worked until my pen was out of ink, after which I needed to continue writing in red. Speaking about red, does anyone know why some of the folks at FOSDEM were wearing a red hat looking like a fedora? I certainly don't.

A thing I also noticed are my paper notebook is rather coffee-proof, which has been proven for over a century now, while that cannot be said for netbooks - unless it's an XO of course.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 11, 2009
8:41 PM EDT
EXCELLENT job, guys!
vainrveenr

Feb 11, 2009
11:16 PM EDT
Quoting:All sockets were taken by the netbook-geeks, so when a friend of Sander (also at FOSDEM) couldn't do anything but look for a free socket for his netbook, Sander and I were happily taking notes the medieval way. Which worked until my pen was out of ink, after which I needed to continue writing in red.
...which inadvertently brings up the point that keeping devices such as netbooks sufficiently powered remains a major concern. Either by - Finding an available power socket, a.k.a., a power "outlet" as it is known in the U.S. - Ensuring that a portable spare battery remains available, besides the device's internal 8hr plus battery.

Although pens such as the red one above DO lose ink eventually, a main advantage of having several pens around is that the ink in these pens will "power up one's thoughts" much longer than the equivalent number of batteries can power up one device. Then "the pen is mightier than the battery" becomes a modern-day variant of The pen is mightier than the sword, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_pen_is_mightier_than_the_sw... .

Scott_Ruecker

Feb 11, 2009
11:57 PM EDT
Looks like someone's picture got bigger..its like, I know what you look like now...Hans. ;-)
gus3

Feb 12, 2009
12:41 AM EDT
I just read the article. All that geek-talk has me looking forward to this year's Ohio Linux Fest.
wjl

Feb 12, 2009
2:18 AM EDT
Brilliant article, folks! Thanks a lot. Bookmarked...
Sander_Marechal

Feb 12, 2009
3:49 AM EDT
Quoting:Speaking about red, does anyone know why some of the folks at FOSDEM were wearing a red hat looking like a fedora? I certainly don't.

I believe they were from Red Hat. The logo of Red Hat is a guy wearing a red fedora-style hat. That's also where Fedora (the distro) got it's name from.
hkwint

Feb 12, 2009
10:57 AM EDT
That wasn't meant as a seriouis question Sander!
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 12, 2009
2:26 PM EDT
Looks like someone at LWN likes you guys..

http://lwn.net/
hkwint

Feb 12, 2009
7:26 PM EDT
Me's the one to blame, I sent them an e-mail.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 12, 2009
7:37 PM EDT
I am sorry I didn't, Thank You Hans.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!