Ubuntu (and FOSS OSes in general) on netbooks

Story: Ubuntu 9.10 will have special focus on NetbooksTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 25, 2009
6:55 PM EDT
This is the perfect time for Ubuntu and other projects to look at the hardware in all of these netbooks and really come out with solutions that work without heavy (or any) geekery.
ColonelPanik

Feb 25, 2009
7:29 PM EDT
Given the results so far I would think that the hardware people would be looking and talking to the Linux people.
caitlyn

Feb 25, 2009
8:20 PM EDT
I think Ubuntu has already done a good job with Netbook Remix. Canonical, whatever you may think of the company, gets it when it comes to netbooks. The Dell Mini 9 and the Sylvania g Netbook Meso, both with Ubuntu Netbook Remix preinstalled, are the only really good implemenations of Linux on a netbook I've seen. Acer (with Linpus Lite) and Asus (with Xandros) obviously have had success but I really believe Ubuntu offers both the ease of use with their tabbed interface that the others offer without crippling the OS.
jacog

Feb 26, 2009
7:26 AM EDT
Yaknow... generally I consider myself a person that does not judge on superficialities. I drive a low end car with a huge dent in the door that does not bother me, I still like my car. I watch movies primarily for the emotional and/or intellectual depth they might offer, whether it be in the art or the story and performances. I am attracted to women with brains and a sense of humour, before I even consider physical attributes.

Yet, when I look at the Ubuntu Netbook Remix' default theme... I just can not get past how unbelievably ugly and unprofessional it looks. One glance and a voice in my head screams about how I cannot possibly ever run such a thing on any hardware of mine.

I am sure it works great... but... ick.

EDIT: Here... much better - http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/6243
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 26, 2009
1:17 PM EDT
In regular ol' Ubuntu, it's easy enough to banish brown. Hopefully the same is true in the Netbook version.
jdixon

Feb 26, 2009
1:43 PM EDT
> In regular ol' Ubuntu, it's easy enough to banish brown. Hopefully the same is true in the Netbook version.

That sounds like the beginnings of an article, Steven. :)
bigg

Feb 26, 2009
2:16 PM EDT
You can easily install HP's new interface if you are using UNR. I don't have a netbook so I couldn't do it. The screenshots look pretty good.
jacog

Feb 26, 2009
5:53 PM EDT
Easy to change the theme, but to a casual shopper just browsing, they see brown.
tracyanne

Feb 26, 2009
7:56 PM EDT
@bigg do you have links to documentation or the repositories?
bigg

Feb 26, 2009
9:39 PM EDT
Check out this thread on the Ubuntu forums. I don't know much about it to be honest.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=fceb823139697bd4ae2...
tracyanne

Feb 26, 2009
10:36 PM EDT
Thanks, I'll give a go

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!